cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Output of "Management Station to Device" Tool

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am wondering about the output produced by the DeviceCenter Tool 'Management Station to Device';

I was using this tool for an IP (x.x.x.x) to test if the IP is SNMP accessible;

it seems that the IP is not assigned, i.e it is not pingable and not SNMP reachable - I cannot find the ip anywhere;

Here is the output:

###############

Note: Protocol connectivity has been checked. Credentials for the protocol have not been tested.

Interface Found: x.x.x.x

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Results

SNMPRv1/v2c Failed

sent: 5 recvd: 0 min: 0 max: 0 avg: 0 timeout: 2 size: 91 protocol: snmp_get port: 161

SNMPWv1/v2c Failed

sent: 0 recvd: 0 min: 0 max: 0 avg: 0 timeout: 2 size: 0 protocol: snmp_set port: 161

#######################

I launched Device Center, entered the IP in question > GO >Mangement Station to Device > SNMPv1v2c

I am wondering about the 2 lines:

Interface Found: x.x.x.x

It seems that 'Status: UP' belongs to the Interface - but that is not possible.

To what does this Status belongs to? Is it the SNMP stack of the LMS Server or what else is it??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The UP is actually hardcoded if the mping executable successfully runs. mping is the tool used to verify most of the available operations. So the short answer, this simply means mping didn't encounter an execution error.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The UP is actually hardcoded if the mping executable successfully runs. mping is the tool used to verify most of the available operations. So the short answer, this simply means mping didn't encounter an execution error.

so this output is really misleading, as the interface is not 'found' (there are interfaces which could not be found, because they doesn't exist) but fetched from the Device Center page from where the tool was started. Something like

'Interface to test: x.x.x.x'

'Test Tool Kit: UP'

would be better.I know it is only cosmetic but it would be more meaningful.

This may be part of the legacy code brought over from CS 2.2. I agree this could be better expressed.