cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IDM 5.1 fails to start

darin.marais
Level 4
Level 4

I have a problem getting Cisco IDM 5.1 to run on my pc. I am using IE 7.0 and Version 1.4.2_10 (build 1.4.2_10-b03) of java. I have updated the java runtime parameter to include the additional string of -Xmx256m. when I start the web browser the window immediately closes just after opening.

Please could you assist me in resolving to problem?

8 Replies 8

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Have you got enough RAM on your PC. It doesn't work on my laptop running 256mb RAM. Works well with machines that have 1GB RAM. Another thing i got Java 1.6.0 the latest one.

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate helpful posts :)

The problem comes with juggling different versions of java. I need the version that I have running as I have a vms 2.3 server that I manage. I have a dell esperion 1.7 ghz with 768 megs of physical RAM?

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IE 7.0 is not yet supported with IDM in IPS version 5.1, and some issues were found when a preliminary check was done.

IPS Version 5.1 was released prior to the release of IE 7.0 and so could not be tested or developed to work with IE 7.0.

An enhancement request has been made to add support for IE 7.0, but has not been targeted for a specific release yet.

For current supported browsers refer to:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids12/idmguide/dmintro.htm#wp1039249

Other browsers often work, but have not been specifically tested.

In version 6.0 there was a change to IDM in the version 6.0(2) Service Pack that changes how IDM starts. This reduces the reliance on the type of browser. I haven't specifically tested it with IE 7.0, but I think it should work.

Here are the supported browsers for 6.0:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids13/idmguide/dmintro.htm#wp1039249

Hi,

Is your error something similar to 'rdep error', java timeout? I had the same issue where it failed at 77% when loading. I logged at TAC and they confirmed it was a bug. I applied service pack 5.1.5 and all was well again. It seems intermittent as it had worked the week earlier!

Hope this helps!

Andy

I applied service pack 5.1.5 and I still freeze up at 77% (Parsing Configuration). Using I.E. 6.0 SP2, using Java 1.6 Standard Edition. I have open a TAC as well. Could it be Memory on the IDS appliance itself?

I am also having the 77% problem.

Tried IE7 with 1.4X thru 1.6 Java with -Xmx256m

Tried Firefox2 with Java 1.5

Same thing hangs at 77% and stops responding.

Anybody find a solution yet??

Just for the heck of it, I tried my laptop instead of my workstation, and it worked. Must be a setting or a broken trust on the workstation. At least it eliminated the problem with the sensor itself. Laptop is using I.E. 6.0 sp2, 128 bit, java 1.4.2_05.

TradeSecrets
Level 1
Level 1

Use either runtime

1.5.10 or 1.6

When you edit the parameter's make sure you edit ever version of java installed.

Sun does not uninstall old version and often times applications pull from various versions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card