Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Layout

rumhyvarghese
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

Is it possible to implement HSRP with 2 routers and one switch?

R1 R2

\ /

Switch

?

LAN

Please advice

Sam Varghese

15 Replies 15

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

yes, this is the typical setup. make sure both routers are in the same VLAN and everything should go smoothly.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sam,

One a typical / basic setup you require atleast 2 routers to begin with for a HSRP setup, hence you are all set to start with..

All the best!!

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi Sam,

you can run HSRP between the two routers with mask of /21 and in same vlan then on the switch you can point the default route to the standby IP.

regards

Mukesh

sdoremus33
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, just remember that the Virtual interface has the "same ip address, and that the routers is on the same subnet, with RouterA(Active), and RouterB(Preempt)HTH

Take care

Good day Sir,

Is it possible to use the same IP for the two routers in HSRP cluster? The default GW will be the new virtual IP address right?

Please advice,

Sam

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

yes , it is possible, make sure, put default gate and as virtual IP address in switch, and make sure all are in same VLan.

Good Day

Is it possible to use same IP address for two routers in HSRP cluster? Will it work? I will make the default GW as the virtual IP..

Please advice

Rumhy

Hi Rumhy,

You have to use seperate ip in same subnet on 2 HSRP routers on their physical interfaces and then you can configure virtual ip address on both the interfaces which will be same on both the routers and also should belong to the same subnet as your phyical interface ip address.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Good day Sir,

Thanking you for your feedback. Our current network layout is attached. Please do check that & qoute in your comments

Best regards,

Sam

Switzerland

Yes You can use it.,,,

Whatever traffic is coming from firewall to routers you can use default gateway which is nothing but hsrp ip i.e cluster ip .

sample config:

R1 ---- switch----R2.

R1:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

ip address 10.10.3.8 255.255.255.128

no ip unreachables

ip route-cache flow

duplex full

speed 1000

media-type rj45

no negotiation auto

no mop enabled

standby 2 ip 10.10.3.7

standby 2 priority 105

standby 2 preempt

and R2 router config:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description CONNECTED TO AND_CS01_HYD

ip address 10.10.3.9 255.255.255.128

no ip proxy-arp

duplex full

speed 1000

media-type rj45

no negotiation auto

standby 2 ip 10.10.3.7

standby 2 preempt

In the above case , suppose any user connected to firewall want to reach user connected in either R1 or R2 , you can use HSRP IP i.e 10.10.3.7 as a default gateway.

Thanks,

Satish

Thank you Sir

Best regards

Sam

maskmukesh
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sam,

Hi iam sorry i did a mistake in my previos mail, the mask used should be /29 so that u will 6 ips and in which u can assign 1 IP to each of the int on router and 1 will be used for virtual(standby IP), 1 will be the vlan ip.

Good day Mr. Mukesh

Is it mandatory that I use a /29 mask for the HSRP routers? Our ISP came up with a suggestion of using /28 mask.

Please advice.

Best Regards,

Sam Varghese

System Engineer

SWITZERLAND

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco