cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changes to primary ext on 7940

dvanzee
Level 2
Level 2

Right now we are setup with a personal ext of 6xxx and an ICD (IPCC express) ext of 5xxx. When someone picks up the phone to call outbound, it automatically picks up 6xxx. Is there anyway to make the phone pick up the 5xxx ext as the primary ext? Also, as you look at the phone the 6xxx is the top ext and the 5xxx the bottom.

Any info would be great

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Switch the 2 extensions in CCM admin so that 5xxx is the first (top) DN and 6xxx is the second.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon.

Is there a tool that I can use to push this setting out to 150-200 phones?

Yes, you can use the BAT tool to accomplish this. You could export the existing phones to a .csv file, fix up the file and use the .csv to update the phones. Take a look at the BAT User Guide below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00807184bb.html

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daniel,

Just wanted to add a note to Brandons great info. If you only want to change the behaviour of being able to Pick-up the 5xxx extensions when ringing (without pressing the associated line button)Set the Always Use Prime Line parameter to False in Cisco CallManager. Because this parameter is clusterwide, any change affects all the phones. There is no interruption to the call handling and no need to restart any service or reboot the Cisco CallManager server.

In order to change this parameter, log in to the Cisco CallManager Administration page and perform these steps:

From the Service menu, choose Service Parameters.

Choose Publisher CallManager Server > Cisco CallManager service.

Under the Clusterwide Parameters (Device - Phone) section, scroll down to the Always Use Prime Line parameter, choose False for this parameter, and click Update.

Note: The default value for the Always Use Prime Line parameter is False. If the flag is set to True, when the phone goes off-hook or the speaker button is pressed, then the primary line is chosen and becomes the active line. If a call comes in on the second line of a user, going off-hook makes only the first line active. In this case, the user must select the second line in order to answer the call. If the flag is set to False, the phone automatically chooses a line as the active line based on the line status.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q39

Hope this helps!

Rob

Brandon & Rob

Thanks so much for all your help. Rob, this value is already set to false, thanks for the info. From what I have got from both of you is I can't make the bottom ext pick up first when you go off hook. I need to move the ICD 5xxx so that it's the top ext.

Hi Daniel,

No worries :) If I understand where you are going with this you want to move the ICD Extension 5xxx to Line 1 and the Personal Extension 6xxx to line 2. I would caution that when you use BAT Export and the BAT Import (after changing the applicable Line Settings) You may have to re-associate the Phones/ICD Extensions etc. Make sure that you do a few practice runs with test phones and come up with the exact process required due to the complexity of this change. It won't be as straight forward as doing this with non-ICD phones.

Hope this helps! And best of luck.

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: