PRI EI/T1 Configuration Questions.

Answered Question
May 23rd, 2007

Hi all,

While I have used the channel-group and timeslot configuration command sets to configure the interface, can somebody explain me at the lowest detail what exactly these commands do and their significance separately?

Is the timeslot a channel? Does that mean if I use timeslot 1-6, I am actually configuring the interface to use channel 1-6?

What about channel group?

Detailed answers would be much appreciated, since I could not find clear enough answers on the net.

Kind regards.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by scottmac about 9 years 5 months ago

That's correct.

Good Luck

Overall Rating: 4.7 (3 ratings)
scottmac Wed, 05/23/2007 - 09:15

Channels = Timeslots

Channel groups allow you to logically establish a collection of channels/timeslots and give them different functions or behaviours. Sort of like a "Dialer" lets you assign multiple logical tasks to a single physical interface.

Good Luck

network_enginee... Wed, 05/23/2007 - 09:53

Hi Scott,

So, in other words "channel-group 1" is the logical collection one of timeslots n-n?

Kind regards,

Wilson Samuel Wed, 05/23/2007 - 10:18

Always remember the thumb rule of Channelized E1/T1 and PRI over E1/T1:

1. If Channelized E1/T1 = Channel-Group

2. If PRI on E1/T1 = Primary-Group

Also, if Channelized E1/T1 then you may bundle in any combination and use it e.g. for an E1 you may use Channel-group 1-16 or 1-5 or 1-30 and use it as an L-3 interface.

However with PRI, the moment you give the primary-group command it will create equalent BRI channels (30 for E1 and 23 for T1) .

You may find the links useful:-

Kindly rate if it helps.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

This Discussion