cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks shadow config files are all zero bytes

aberninger
Level 1
Level 1

I am running RME 4.0.5 and have enabled the shadow directory (including stopping and restarting ConfigMgmtServer).

All my archive management jobs run successfully but the shadow configs files show up with the correct names but are zero bytes (empty).

Any ideas what could be causing this?

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have not seen this problem. The only thing I can think of is lack of disk space on the shadow directory file system. When did you enable the shadow directory (in which version of RME was it first enabled)? What OS platform? It may also be as simple as deleting all of the contents of the shadow directory, and running a full config sync to repopulate it. Of course, the dcmaservice.log may shed some more light on this.

This is a new install on Windows 2003 server SP1.

Plenty of disk space.

I deleted all the files in the shadow directory. When I run a config sync, it just repopulates with zero byte files.

I checked the dcmaservice.log but nothing jumped out to me that pointed to a cause.

stumped...

Delete all of the shadow directory entries again, enable ArchiveMgmt debugging under RME > Admin > System Preferences > Loglevel Settings, restart ConfigMgmtServer, clear out the dcmaservice.log, then run the sync archive job again for ONE device.

Then post the dcmaservice.log and the NMSROOT\MDC\etc\regdaemon.xml.

Same result, zero byte config file in shadow area.

Logs are attached...

Thanks for your help!

I think I see the problem. The shadow directory is indexed by display name. That is, configs appear in this directory based on what the display name for each device is in DCR. However, your display names contain characters that are illegal in Windows (e.g. ':'). You will need to rename all of your devices to exclude characters that cannot appear in a filename on Windows. Here's a definitive guide:

http://threebit.net/mail-archive/carbon-dev/msg01314.html

Yep, that was it!

All my display names contained a colon (:)

I just changed the name on one device, reran and the file was created properly.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: