Views
Helpful
Replies

How to delete a vlan

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

When I do a show vlan brief, I get a list of vlans. There is one particular vlan I'd like to remove vlan130. How can I delete that vlan?

Thanks in advance

Dan

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dan,

Which switch is this? If its a new switch like 2960,3560,3750, please go to config mode and delete the vlan. Do the following:

config t

no vlan 130

If its an older switch, you have to delete it using the Vlan data base mode:

Switch# vlan database

Switch(vlan)# no vlan 130

Switch(vlan)# apply

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2950/software/release/12.1_20_ea2/command/reference/cli3.html#wp2879531

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Which series switch u r using.First determine the role of the switch in question i mean weather it is vtp server or vtp client.u cannot delte the vlan from the switch which is acting as a vtp client.

verify how u have created the vlan..ie..there are 2 ways of creating the vlans in vlan database mode or from global mode.if u have created the vlans from vlan database mode then go the vlan datase mode and issue the command no vlan vlanid

if it is in gobal mode then go to the global mode and issue no vlan (vlanname) vlanid.

Thanks

Mahmood

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Is this switch a standalone or in a network. If its standalon then go to config mode and the command would be no vlan 130.

It its in a network, and having a vtp status of server, follow the above procedure. If its a client go to the core switch running on server and then delete in the config mode saying no vlan 130.

-Hoogen

Do rate if this helps :)

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

Go to VLAN DATABASE mode and then issue a command "no vlan " and the apply

Switch#vlan database

Switch(vlan)#no vlan 130

Deleting VLAN 130...

Switch(vlan)#apply

APPLY completed.

Switch(vlan)#exit

Make sure this is not a VTP client switch and if you have a VTP server switch perform this task there and it will be updated on all your VTP clients switches.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card