cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA5a

jpeletz
Level 1
Level 1

When I TFTP'd my config to my server, I reviewed it and to my suprise, I did not see any VTP information. Is there another file I need to TFTP to get this information? Does this also mean the I will need to re-enter the VTP information if I replaced a crashed 3550? Thanks.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Can you please confirm that your switch is running in VTP server mode or client mode or transparent mode?

Regards,

Ankur

View solution in original post

Hi Friend,

In VTP server mode the VTP/VLAN information is not stored in the config and is stored in vlan.dat file which is saved in NVRAM for VTP server mode.

So if you are just taking a backup of config file VTP/VLAN information is not backedup so you have to take the backup of vlan.dat file in seperate.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Yes, that's the only switch from which you will back up the vlan.dat file. Only VTP server maintains that file and pushes to VTP clients. You cannot read the contents of this file using any viewer.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Friend,

Yes you are correct, its the same for all platform. But if your switch is in VTP transparent mode then the vlan information will be saved in your config file.

HTH

Ankur

12 Replies 12

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Can you please confirm that your switch is running in VTP server mode or client mode or transparent mode?

Regards,

Ankur

It is running server mode.

Hi Friend,

In VTP server mode the VTP/VLAN information is not stored in the config and is stored in vlan.dat file which is saved in NVRAM for VTP server mode.

So if you are just taking a backup of config file VTP/VLAN information is not backedup so you have to take the backup of vlan.dat file in seperate.

HTH

Ankur

Thanks. I kind of thought that but, is great to get conformation.

Did you back up the Vlan.dat file from the VTP server switch earlier. If not, then I am afraid that you have to configure the vlan locally again on the VTP server switch. If you have the older Vlan.dat file you can tftp it back on the switch.

HTH,

-amit singh

We never backed up the vlan.dat. This is a new adventure for us. Thanks again.

One last couple of questions. Is this the only switch/router that you need to back up this file and is there a viewer to see/read the information.

Yes, that's the only switch from which you will back up the vlan.dat file. Only VTP server maintains that file and pushes to VTP clients. You cannot read the contents of this file using any viewer.

HTH,

-amit singh

Just to help me totally understand, the 3550 is the only model that you have to ensure that you backup the vlan.dat to ensure you have a complete backup, correct?

You have to backup the Vlan.dat file only from the switch which is acting as the VTP server in your network. VTP server is the only switch in a VTP domain who saves the vlan configuration file in its NVRAM (except VTP transparent switches who maintains their own vlan database file). VTP client switches do not maintain the Vlan dtabase file in their NVRAM s you cannot backup the file from the VTP cleint switches.It can only be backup from the VTP server switches.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

So then you are stating that on any switch/router that is a vtp server you need to backup the vlan.dat file, 2948,2980,4500, etc..correct?

Hi Friend,

Yes you are correct, its the same for all platform. But if your switch is in VTP transparent mode then the vlan information will be saved in your config file.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card