cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

limit # of users per ssid and/or load balance ssid

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

I have a unique situation in which there are times during the year where we will get 800+ guest users on the wireless network in a small area (approx 10,000 sq ft divided by walls/etc). There is also a high attendee population density in the area as well.

Is there a way to place a cap on how many users per ssid? and/or have users roll over to another ssid/subnet if the max # has been reached.

Unfortunately, all the users are in the same areas using the same radios, so AP group vlans will not work in my situation. In the past, we have have deployed "AP bombs", where we put out additional APs in the area to help with coverage and radio load, but that is only a partial solution. I like the idea of a univeral ssid, but perhaps the only thing I can think of is to put out the "AP bombs" and use ssid override with multiple ssids available for use. I appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks

2 Replies 2

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eric,

see my post over at the following URL.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40.1dde721c/4#selected_message

Quick copy paste of part of my post:

Connect to your AP's web interface

Click on the security tab on the left

Click on SSID Manager

Click on the SSID you wish to limit.

Scroll down towards the bottom. "Association Limit". Set each to your desired limit.

Please remember to rate helpful posts. You will want to ensure enough overlap is provided otherwise you will end up with a lot of clients unable to connect.

You could deploy additional APs like you stated while limiting the transmit power. Decreasing the supported transfer rates will also help shrink cell size.

So in the end, more smaller less powerful cells. =]

Ok, that works for autonomous APs, but not lwapp APs such as the 1020 series.

Also, what mechanism would be in place to shunt users over to a different ssid?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card