CCNA Passed: Moving on to CCNP

Unanswered Question
May 24th, 2007

I passed CCNA 640-801 exam just under 8 hours ago with a score of 885, THANK GOD !!!. Actually i registered for the exam for March but due to job commitments rescheduled it. Yesterday, I wanted to do the same as I had not seen the material for a month. Unfortunately, i got late and the rescheduled/cancel option was no longer available. So the last 24 hours have been intensive and desperate preparation hours for me... Well, 885 is still better then getting failed, isn't it :)

Now, aiming for CCNP, which exam better be prepared and taken first. Are there any recommended study guides, good books, online resources for it.

BTW, on average how long will preparing for CCNP take after one gets CCNA. Can some one please share their experience of doing CCNP with us in terms of time spent studying guides, practice on physical systems compared to simulating via say boson, order of exams taking.

Regards, Rashid.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.2 (4 ratings)
bjornarsb Thu, 05/24/2007 - 11:31

Nice going :)

Now someone actually seems to be in the opinion that you have done the hardest part!

When doing CCNP you can concentrate on each part.

I would recomend :

And boson of cource. Problem is that ont and iscw are relatively new exams. Time spending on CCNP actually depends on your pratical experience, I spent 1/2 year.

You should try to set up a small lab environment if you have some old boxes available.

Good luck!

seabird505 Thu, 05/24/2007 - 21:15

Thanks for the reply and the really helpful link.

I think I will go for the BSCI first with "Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), Third Ed." as the study resource and boson netsim for simulation. Cannot afford routers or switches. I hope this will work...

Regards, Rashid.

dgoodridge Fri, 05/25/2007 - 00:17

Congratulations, the CCNA is no doubt one of the hardest things to revise for due to the variety of the subject matter.

Traditionally with the CCNP (prior to the new structure) the order that was thought easiest was BCMSN, BSCI, BCRAN & CIT.

Now that things have changed I think I would still recommend BCMSN first but then maybe followed by ONT (which is a nice easy course) because of the QoS overlap.

BSCI is still considered tricky (Failed that twice by under 1%!) and I have heard the ISCW is also a lot to learn and maybe best left until last so that you can draw on the experiences of the other exams.

I took 14 months to do my CCNP but then I had the advantage of having worked in the industry for a number of years.

I hope that helps, good luck.

seabird505 Fri, 05/25/2007 - 05:48

Thanks Doug, Both BSCI and BCMSN has topics that is a real interest to me. I think I am more confident in the routing stuff. In the CCNA exam I took, whenever there was a VLAN related question I would say, Anything but not vlan, please... But the rip, eigrp ospf questions would really cheer me up :)

I need to ask, which book will be more appropriate for the BSCI exam, the Self Study Guide (3rd Ed: Available) or Exam Certification Guide (4rth Ed: due July 07) by cisco press. Can one prepare using one of them. If yes, then which book is more appropriate.

Thanks for the reply,

Regards, Rashid.

t4tauseef33 Fri, 05/25/2007 - 17:27

Dear Rashid

Its seems good that you are approaching the CCNP after doing CCNA.

MY suggestion is to do first the

And after that donot forget to do the CCSP as it is the demanding field ahead.

Tauseef Arshad

seabird505 Sat, 05/26/2007 - 06:08

Thanks Tauseef!

In the last post, I asked about study material for BSCI. Whats the recommendation on that. For the time being my goal is to become CCNP. CCSP is another 5 papers and i think no paper is common between the two. Well, its out of sight so out of mind for the time being..

Thanks anyway,

Regards, Rashid.

t4tauseef33 Sat, 05/26/2007 - 14:44

Hi Rashid

First of all you need BSCI Cisco 642-901 Book available over Ciscopress or find on the amazon. Alternate is the Sybex book for the same exam. Both are good in terms of preparation of exam and knowlege.

Secondly you need some type od simulation software or Lab equipment. Its upto you how you get these one. In my opinion, Cisco books and sybex books contains the optimum verson of Bosan Net simulator which is very help full in hands on experience. If you want further hands on experience, i refer to the lattest BOSAN netsimulator 6.0 software which has very good options of Frame Relay, BGP and other Stuff. If you need further information then mail me. [email protected]

seabird505 Sun, 05/27/2007 - 06:38

Thanks for the advice Tauseef, I really appreciate it. I hope that the good and friendly cisco community will continue helping guys like me to take the next step forward with ease and motivation.

Thanks Every One,

This Discussion