Views
Helpful
Replies

2 different version Unity servers with 1 CallManager

andyhibbert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have CallManager 4.2(3) and Unity 4.2 Voicemail. There are some users who need the added functionality of UM. I don't want to upgrade all the Voicemail users, that would be too expensive. I was looking to provide a second Unity server running UM for these people. So is it possible to have a CallManager point at two different Unity systems ?

An added complication is that I am unable to use the corporate Exchange system for the message store or make any AD schema changes. To get around this I was thinking of using Unity Connection for the UM.

Am I wasting my time even looking at this solution ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

2 Replies 2

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends how you have Unity set up today. If you are running vm only in it's own domain, adding a second unity server to your production domain would be ok. But the problem is that you have two seperate directories, call handlers, etc. You cant digital connect the (2) unity servers in seperate domains.

You can however buy mixed license for your VM and UM subscribers. you will need to have your VM only unity server (assuming in it's own domain) moved to your production AD. This will then tie into your existing Exchange enviroment where all your AD users have email, etc.

You would need to create seperate accounts for VM only users for the VM license to be legal. For instance:

- John Doe jdoe@company.com (existing user in Exchange production/AD, etc)

- John Doe needs VM only. Create a new account for John Doe

- John Doe Vmail only jdoevm@company.com (new user in Exchange Production/AD, etc)

If Jane Doe needs UM, you basically just activate her and all her voicemails will show up in her Exchange mailbox at her desk.

Setting up two seperate servers is going to be messy and an admin nightmare. In the last 12 months, Cisco has changed the licensing format so the server *can* run mixed UM/VM because of this problem admins like you have.

Anyone out there, please feel free to correct me, but I think this what i have found in the past.

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for replying.

The CallManagers are in a workgroup, outside the corporate AD. The Unity server is standalone with AD and Exchange local to it.

The real problem for me is that I probably can't use the corporate Exchange system as a message store or make any AD schema changes.

There are all sorts of internal politics involved. This makes it a bit difficult to provide UM!

So my thought was to keep the existing Unity VM server for "VM" users and have Cisco Unity Connection for the "UM" users. (I believe Unity Connection uses a local message store and an IMAP client for access)

If it is not possible to have CallManager point at both Unity VM and Unity Connection at the same time I guess upgrading the Unity VM to Unity Connection is an option.

The questions then follow,

Is Unity Connection compatible with CallManager 4.2(3)?

Is it possible to get a 1,000 seat license?

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: