cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing RIP into EIGRP

gastamant
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to plug in the different metrics (bandwidth, delay, reliability, load, and mtu) into the EIGRP metric formula, but have been unsuccessful at figuring out how it comes up with the composite metric. Here is the info I have

default metric 45000 500 255 3 1500 (config in router)

composite metric = 184832 (sh ip eigrp topo)

Can someone help me plug the numbers in so I can figure this out?

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The formula is:

Metric = (Bandwidth + Delay) * 256

Bandwidth for EIGRP = 10^7 / Interface Bandwidth (in kpbs)

Delay for EIGRP = Interface Delay (in micro.s) / 10

Do the math and i think it should give you the result, and bare in mind that by default only bandwidth and delay are considered (K1=K3=1, and K2=K4=K5=0).

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mohammed for the quick response.

How do I know all the K values are defaulted?

If I add a default-metric statement under EIGRP, do the K values change?

Hi,

The K values can only be changed using the "metric weights 0 k1 k2 k3 k4 k5" command.

NOTE: The first 0 in the command is Type Of Service (Only TOS 0 supported - thus it is always 0).

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mohammed.

Gary

If you add a default-metric statement under EIGRP it does not change the K values. If you want to check to see if the weights have been changed then you should look in the configuration under router eigrp and look for metric weight command.

This link has information that explains more about this if you want more information:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fiprrp_r/1rfeigrp.htm#wp1023638

In general most of us believe that it is much better to leave the EIGRP metric weights at their default value.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card