Views
Helpful
Replies

PA for DS-3

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

I have had never been able to understand on whose recommendation (I mean if we need to check with the carrier or not) we need to buy PAs for a 7200VXR for DS-3

I have come across ATM PA-A3 and the PoS PA both could be used to connect the DS-3, so which of the PA should be used?

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Absolutely right.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

ATM PA-A3 is an ATM interface and the PoS PA is s PPP interface, its your call according to the other end to be connected, the carrier will provide you with DS3, using ATM or PPP is your choice if both devices are yours, and you'll have to check with him if you are taking internet access and the other device is his.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohd.,

So if I'm taking it correctly whenever one orders for a DS-3 he has 2 choices: 1. PPP 2. ATM

If PPP is the choice the PA required would be PoS PA and if the choice is on ATM then it would be ATM-PA-A3?

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi,

Yes, you have got it right, and to add more, the POS PA supports PPP, HDLC-like, and Frame Relay.

You can check them here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/prod_brochure_list.html

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mohd.,

Thanks a lot, also so may I safely conclude that:-

1. For any DS-3 and/or OC-3 could be connected via 2 L-2 technologies a.PoS b.ATM

If I choose ATM then I have to take the PA-A3 otherwise it would be PA-PoS?

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi,

Absolutely right.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Oh Boy,

You have answered me a million USD question, nevertheless I wonder why I didnt do a little more thinking.. :-)

May be its time for my brains to reboot (take a sleep)

Whatever, thanks a lot man..

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi,

You are always welcomed, please always ask there is always someone who likes sharing his info.

Just to consolidate your case, POS PA supports PPP, HDLC-like, and Frame Relay, while ATM PA supports only ATM.

Good Luck, and good night :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco