Views
Helpful
Replies

CW LMS system crash

martyyates
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

LMS has crashed for an unknown reason. I was unable to log on this morning so jumped onto the server and tried a net stop / start crmdmgtd with the result:

C:\WINDOWS>pdshow

ERROR: connect to dmgtd process on "127.0.0.1" on port 42340 failed:

C:\WINDOWS>net stop crmdmgtd

The CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\WINDOWS>net start crmdmgtd

The CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service is starting.

The CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

C:\WINDOWS>

LMS 2.6 on W2k3. No changes on the server recently. Last updates were the Windows updates earlier this month.

Starting CW Daemon in Win Services results in a start and then a stop 1-2s after.

thanks,

Marty.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Try running NMSROOT\setup\support\resetCasuser.exe, follow the on-screen prompts, and then see if dmgtd will start.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What messages, if any, do you see in the Windows Event viewer? Look at the Application and Security logs.

Hi once again Joe,

app logs attached. Nothing untoward (to my eyes) in the Security events.

- Marty.

What about the Security log?

sorry - delay in reducing the size.

Try running NMSROOT\setup\support\resetCasuser.exe, follow the on-screen prompts, and then see if dmgtd will start.

that did the trick Joe. Any ideas on why it may have happened?

thanks,

Marty.

It looks like the security policies for casuser were reset.

Hi Marty,

You should not touch the following paths with your backup software, because these are the database folders from CiscoWorks; even if your SW would be able to backup these open files (but its actually not, as you see on the errors in the security log) they are useless. You have no garantee that the databases would be consistent!

It would be better to exclude them from your current backup.

\\aklnm003\c$\Program Files\Internetwork Performance Monitor\Server\Sybase\IPMDB.db

\\aklnm003\c$\Program Files\CSCOpx\databases\

Instead schedule the database backup in LMS and make sure the folder where these backups reside are included in your backup.

Hi Martin - thanks for the advice. Will tell TSM to avoid those dirs.

nice one,

Marty.

Hi,

Now I am facing the same problem,but after I apply

C:\Program files\CSCOpx\setup\support>resetCasuser.exe

then select option 2,I enter the new password, I got an error message

"The password does not meet the password policy requirment. check the minimum password length,password complexity and password history requirement"

any advice

Hi there,

do a net stop / start then run resetCasuser.exe and select option 1 (not 2).

Seems as though I have to run the exe each time I restart the app now...

- Marty.

This should not be necessary unless something else on the machine is changing casuser's password, or modifying the local security policies.

If you choose to specify your own password for casuser, you must specify a password that meets your system's password requirements.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: