cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Defined Group anomoly

philmcgregor
Level 1
Level 1

When creating our user defined groups most of our devices are resolving in CiscoWorks to their device name, but some are resolving to their ip address.

Eg, we create the user defined group, use the rule Device.HostName startswith "abcd", and we expect to see in the 'objectcs matching criteria' box our devices 'abcdrouter1' and 'abcdswitch1' like for the majority of our groups. But occasionally we just get the ip addresses of the two devices.

Its not (as far as we can tell) causing any issues, its just seems strange and we're wondering why this might be happening.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It wouldn't. The seed list (i.e. the one configured under Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > Discovery Settings) is augmented by all of the devices in DCR. That is, all devices in DCR will become seed devices on the next discovery. So, if you do not have filters properly setup in the aforementioned configuration screen, you can potentially get a lot of devices you do not want.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Device.HostName matches the hostname field in DCR. However, the display name field is what will be shown in most cases (i.e. not in DFM). So, it sounds like Discovery found the device by IP address initially, then later, when DNS was added/corrected, it found the device's hostname. However, by default, the display name field will not be updated by Discovery.

So, your choices are either manually update the display name field in DCR to contain the device's hostname, or add the following to DeviceDiscovery.properties and re-run a Discovery (note: adding this property will cause Discovery to overwrite ALL discovered devices' hostnames in DCR):

nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName=true

Great, that worked. Thanks jclarke.

All devices are being discovered by hostname now.

However, i guess i misunderstood what you meant by 'overwrite ALL discovered devices' hostnames in DCR', because now our list of seed devices for discovery has been deleted.

On top of that our list of discoverd devices has been populated with undesired devices.

Now that we've set nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName=true, we're going to re-do our device seeds and do a rediscovery.

How do we delete the current list of discovered devices, start afresh?

There is no point in deleting the list of discovered devices. That list is purged and recreated each time Discovery runs. If, however, you want to delete all the devices in DCR (all the devices that have been discovered or otherwise added to LMS), then you can do that under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management. If you do this, you will lose all device data for each deleted device in every LMS application (i.e. RME, DFM, etc.).

Hmm..

After changing nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName to true, our discovery added about 500 other unwanted devices that were not being discovered before.

We assumed this was because the seed list had been deleted, so it was just discovering everything it could find, not just from the devices specified in the seed list.

After this we ran a discovery with a very small seed list for testing, and the list of discovered devices did not shrink at all, so we presumed once a device was written to the list it stayed.

Why would changing the state of nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName change the discovered devices so drasticly?

It wouldn't. The seed list (i.e. the one configured under Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > Discovery Settings) is augmented by all of the devices in DCR. That is, all devices in DCR will become seed devices on the next discovery. So, if you do not have filters properly setup in the aforementioned configuration screen, you can potentially get a lot of devices you do not want.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: