Views
Helpful
Replies

2106 Network Issues

kefrankovich
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am seeing very strange behavior from my 2106 controller. When I load it up the firs time and run through the config wizard, everything works fine. When I then begin to configure my additional WLANS/Interfaces/Ports, it will at some point just drop off the network. I can reload it, power it down, whatever...and nothing will bring it back on. I am running the latest 4.1.xxx version.

My issue typically goes like this:

1. Configure the management and ap-manager (everything is fine).

2. Configure two WLANs on two different interfaces (which i have also created).

3. Hook all needs ports up to my switch (3560) as trunk ports

4. dynamic interfaces don't work...start messing around and moving port around/cables around

5. at some point while doing this...the controller will just drop off the network (no ping, web access, anything). At this point...I do a complete reset and start all over...only to have the same thing happen again.

Any clue what might be happening? I am at a loss on this one.

8 Replies 8

matthiasgoodman
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know what the answer to this is, but I just want to say that it is happening to me too. Maybe it is because all the interfaces have the same mac on the 2106s. On the 2006s each interface has its own mac.

I had the exact same symptoms. I worked with TAC and discovered that it appears to be a spanning-tree issue inside the controller. The solution was to make sure that the vlan for the management interface on the controller was trunked only on one of the switchports. We used our second switchport to carry a second WLAN as well, and once i removed the management vlan from that trunk I regained connectivity to the 2106. Our 2006 models didn't behave in this way, so it took some digging...

This one got me too. The problem is that you can't do interface failover if you have to prune the trunks down. Do you have a bug ID for your case?

Nope, didn't get one. If you can manage to squeeze one out of TAC, please post it here...

I was thinking about for a while now (Joe above is my customer). Should the WLC fall off the network...technically no it should not..... but with that being said its really a moot point heres why...

The 2006 and the 2106 don?t allow for backup ports for the management interface. So the AP Manager and the Management are bound to port 1 (in your config).... so technically if port 1 goes down... the 2106 should not be responding over port 2 (since your AP Manager and even the management is bound to port 1 not 2).

Also..... even if you were allowed to do backup ports (like a 4400 WLC)... you would need a second AP manager interface (since if port 1 went down you would loose you AP because you cant really configure AP Managers as a backup port even on a 4400). And you cant configure a second AP Manager port on a 2006 and a 2106

so that work around you posted above helps if you want to have the second port an dynamic interfaces on that.... but then again there is no redundancy depending on which port fails.

You make a good point. In our case, we use the second port to physically segment one of our WLAN's traffic when it actually hits the wired LAN. And, as you note, there doesn't seem to really be a way to identify any port as a "backup port" when assigning them to logical interfaces, even for the dynamic interfaces.

It is interesting, though, that even though there has always been "spanning tree awareness" in the 2006 controller, this problem is just manifesting itself now in the new 2106 hardware platform.

yea that is interesting....wonder if code is the issue.... if 2006 and 2106 are on 4.1 does it happen to both or 1 and not the other....

Hi,

I'd the same issue "solved" using only one port to connect to the wired network... it's not enought to unplug or shut--> You've to disconnect and reload the wlc.

After that put all dynamic interfaces on the only connected port.

Tomorrow I'll do some tests pruning VLAN from switch.

regards

Luigi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card