Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions

ryanl7779
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Will a 10/1001000 Ethernet switch works with any firewall router or the firewall router must support up to at least gigabit as well? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ryan,

not necessarily to use a gigabit router unless you have more users are directly hitting the router. in normal cases a 100Mbps router would be more than sufficient. in general Services provider will have Gigabit routers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

itz nothing like restricted only to certain speed. it works on any switch, the speed depends on the specific port on the firewall, say if a switch has got 10/100/1000 Mbps & firewall has only 10/100 Mbps, ultimate the speed will be 100 Mbps. one thing you need to remember, any device mentioning as 10/100/1000 or 10/100 which means it either supports 10 or 100 or 1000, but if it is mentioned only 1000 or 100 or 10, then only it is limited to connect only the respective speed.

i hope your are clear.

Hi Thanks.

So I can use cisco 501 to connect to a 3com 10/100/1000 24ports switch right?

yeah absolutely, it works fine.

Thanks.

If I have a 2M Point to Point connection, if i have a gigabit switch & firewall router, will there be any difference with using cisco 501 & a gigabit switch? Is there a need to use a gigabit firewall router?

Hi Ryan,

not necessarily to use a gigabit router unless you have more users are directly hitting the router. in normal cases a 100Mbps router would be more than sufficient. in general Services provider will have Gigabit routers.

Thanks Anandanarayana. Appreciate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card