Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast and Windows Media

tolamonia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone!

We are building a content delivery network and are using Multicast extensively. My question is for those experts who have worked with Windows Media Multicast in a Cisco Multicast environment over the Internet. Yes, our provider is running Multicast and the RP is configured correctly, etc. Here are the issues:

1) We are not able to join the Multicast group from outside the local LAN.

2) We have a simple setup with a Cisco router and a Windows Media Server (WMS). Both are setup for Multicast. Although, I have not been able to find documentation on how the WMS Multicast stack actually works. I'd like to know more about this, if anyone knows...

3) Do I need to define a Multicast group on the router? The WMS has a GLOP address using an arbitrary port# 17000. Not sure what WMS uses the port for, but when I do a trace, I see a ton of packets being sent from the WMS's IP address to its Multicast address, again, not sure why this is happening.

I have to believe someone has set this up before; it's a pretty basic and, I'd imagine, common setup.

Thanks,

Todd

1 Reply 1

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, you need to define a multicast group on the router. Kindly try doing a debug of the rp helow messages and auto rp if configured.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: