Views
Helpful
Replies

inventory on 2503 routers

donaghq_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have recently installed LMS2.6 with all the latest software for each of the components i.e. CiscoWorks Common Services 3.0.5,Ciscoview 6.1.5, Resource Manager Essentials 4.0.5, Ciscoview 6.1.5, Device Fault Manager 2.0.8.

I have over 600 routers and switches which are being managed by LMS. I have over 100 2500 routers still on the network and the inventory is not being picked up from any of these.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

Thank You

Regards

Donagh

6 Replies 6

jreekers
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Donagh,

LMS discovers devices via the CDP table on the connected devices. For your 2500's, you need to ensure that CDP is configured on them and that when you check the cdp neighbors on the connected devices, those 2500's show up. A "show cdp neighbors" will tell you if the 2500(s) are there.

Another problem could be that you have snmpview's configured on the 2500's preventing CDP information from being polled by the LMS server.

Check these and let me know what you find.

HTH,

-Joe

Hello Joe and thanks for your reply.

I do not want to use Campus Manager to find these devices. I simply want LMS, namely RME, to telnet to the devices and pull back the inventory. This should not have anything to do with CDP. Either way CDP is enabled on all these routers. This is what leads me to think that there is some issue with 2500's especially considering they are so old they may not be supported in in LMS2.6!

Thanks

Regards

Donagh

Hi Donagh.

The 2500's are indeed supported in RME 4.0.5 (part of LMS 2.6):

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000e/e_4_x/rme405/rme405.htm#wp224855

You mentioned that you have added several hundred other devices, but just the 2500's have been a problem. Can you please tell me what method you've used to add these? Is there any difference in the community strings on the devices you have added, and those you can't? And finally, can you (from the command line on the LMS server) snmpwalk the 2500's?

-Joe

Hi Donagh.

One think I neglected to mention...check to see if these routers are running a supported image (also listed in the Supported Device List -- http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000e/e_4_x/rme405/rme405.htm#wp224855 ) .

Regards,

-Joe

Thanks for your feedback. I have looked at the list of supported IOS and it says RME 4.0.5 support all of IOS 11.0 on the 2500's. The majority of them are using 11.0. At least that is my interpretation of what they are saying! all 600 devices are using the same SNMP credentials and they are working fine. Anybody from Cisco heard of this problem?

Aer you getting any error on inventory collection of these devices? Can you try enabling debugs for inventory collection:

RME - Admin - System Preferences - Loglevel Settings

Select ICServer and set all 3 drop downs to Debug

Then apply the change

Now go and select 1 or 2 of the problem devices and manually attempt an inventory collection.

Once it fails have a look at the IC_Server.log and search for the IP address or hostname of the problem devices you tested (should be near the end of the log)

What error are they receiving?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card