cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast forwarding on 3560 switch

shuangufl
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to do a multicast forwarding on a Cisco 3560 switch. In this case, I want to set up a forwarding rule for Fa0/5: Forwarding 239.1.1.11(an IP for multicasting) to Fa0/1. How can I do that? Many thanks!

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

If its just a matter of forwarding multicast traffic on one particular port then you can opt for static entries for multicast mac address in CAM entry.

Something like this

mac-address-table static vlan interface

But remember this is the least-scalable solution for an environment that has a lot of multicast applications. If you want to scale your multicast network with multiple subnets and switches and routers then you may need to opt for multicast routing invonving PIM and IGMP snooping.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thank you for your reply!

But how can I do the forwarding by setting PIM and IGMP?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Friend,

If your network is just 3560 you can have simple config

Something like this

Switch(config)#ip multicast-routing distributed

Switch(config)#interface vlan

Switch(config-if)#ip address x.x.x.x

Switch(config-if)#ip pim sparse-dense mode

If you want to do multicast routing between diffreent subnets then you can apply same config for multiple vlan interfaces but make sure multicast application send multicast traffic with TTL value > 1

IGMP snooping is enabled by default on Cisco switches.

HTH

Ankur

Thank you!

In my case, Fa0/1 and Fa0/5 are in the same Vlan, I want to set the forwarding rule for Fa0/5: FWD 239.1.1.11 to Fa0/1

Can you offer more detailed cmds to achieve this by setting PIM. I'm really new to this, thank you very much for your help!!

Hi Friend,

As I mentioned if your switch is running advanced services image it will support multicast routing.

Just follow the commands which I have mentioned in my previous post. Because IGMP snooping is bydefault enable when your machine will start pumping multicast traffic it will only reach your fa0/1 interface because your receiver on fa0/1 interface will start sending IGMP report packets which switch will snoop and find out on which port your receiver exist.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card