cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM TFTP and PXE on same subnet???

walteryork
Level 1
Level 1

I have two subnets, my voice and data. The two subnets are bridged and are using different DHCP servers. I use PXE services (3com boot services) which also uses TFTP on my data subnet. The voice subnet only has phone server TFTP.

My question is, how do I configure my data subnet for the CCM TFTP servers WITHOUT loosing my PXE boot abilities?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

being different subnets there should be no problem, each server will "see" its own clients only, on the respective voice and data vlans.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does

Paolo,

I would actually like to have my DATA subnet configured to accomodate both... IP Phones and PXE boot services for workstations.

Hi,

That is not recommended, one very specific purpose of running separate voice and data vlans is to separate the domain of respective dhcp/tftp servers.

Of course you can integrate the dhcp/tftp servers into one single system with the appropriate configuration, but still is suggested to keep separate vlans in order to know what is what and from where it comes.

Just in case anyone is looking for the answer to the same question, this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800942f4.shtml

provides the directions for adding an option on the DHCP server to point phones to the call manager TFTP server. Apparently option 150 is not used by bootp or PXE and I was able to have both my phones and PXE server on the same subnet without problems. Can we give points to ourselves? ;)

I can surely give you points for having solved your own problem! Now for when you want to try a cisco switch with VLANs, QoS, routing, DHCP and god knows what else, I thinks you will like i!