Help with changes to configuration for our VoIP

Answered Question
May 27th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi All,

To most of those here, this is probably the most basic question you could get asked. I need some help with making a change to our configuration of our Cisco 2801 Router. This router is used for our VoIP services. The reason I am on here is more to confirm what I believe should be the change as I am not entirely confident on my Cisco skills yet(I have only just completed CCNA)

Our Service Provider has upgraded our service from 10 channels to 15 channels. I believe that the configuration I need to change is here:

controller E1 0/1/0

pri-group timeslots 1-10,16

description OPTUS circuit

And I need to change this to the following:

controller E1 0/1/0

pri-group timeslots 1-15,16

description OPTUS circuit

Now would this be right? And would anyone have any idea if there could be another area of the config that I might need to change?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Correct Answer by Paolo Bevilacqua about 9 years 10 months ago

Actually you have to shutdown the corresponding voice-port, remove current with "no pri-group" first, then issue "pri-group timeslots 1-16". Then no shutdown the voice-port. Forgot to mention that before :)

You should already have better than pvdm2-8 in the router, so enough dsp resource for the new channels.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Sun, 05/27/2007 - 17:27
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

No other change is needed. As you are there you can issue some show isdn command to check on things and that's it.

pjscott13 Sun, 05/27/2007 - 17:42
User Badges:

I just thought of another question. Can I just issue the new command without having to remove it first... as in without saying "no pri-group timeslots 1-10,16"?

Correct Answer
Paolo Bevilacqua Sun, 05/27/2007 - 17:51
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Actually you have to shutdown the corresponding voice-port, remove current with "no pri-group" first, then issue "pri-group timeslots 1-16". Then no shutdown the voice-port. Forgot to mention that before :)

You should already have better than pvdm2-8 in the router, so enough dsp resource for the new channels.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

pjscott13 Sun, 05/27/2007 - 18:02
User Badges:

Good point. Is there a way to check the pvdm etc?

Paolo Bevilacqua Sun, 05/27/2007 - 18:20
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Show diag. The number after dash basically indicates how many voice channel.

pjscott13 Sun, 05/27/2007 - 18:24
User Badges:

Excellent. Slot 0 is 32 Channel and Slot 1 is 8 Channel. We already had 10 Channels and using Slot 0 anyway... so have plenty of room to move! Thanks. I will let you know how it goes and will rate once complete!

Paolo Bevilacqua Sun, 05/27/2007 - 19:10
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Good luck!

Please remember to rate all useful posts using the scrollbox below!

pjscott13 Mon, 05/28/2007 - 15:57
User Badges:

Thanks for all your help. All worked ok. Though I did have a spot of bother. I just had to add the port back to "dial-peer". Once I found that out, everything worked!

Paolo Bevilacqua Mon, 05/28/2007 - 16:11
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Correct. On removal of pri-group, the voice-port disappears. It's hard to remember all the details sometime!

Actions

This Discussion