cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

877W hide the ISP's DNS servers

joshgrisham
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 877W router connected and working with SBC DLS and dynamic IP address. We can get out to the internet and browse the web perfectly. Only problem is, I've added our ISP's two DNS servers using the ip name-server command (this was the only way I could get name resolution to work.. otherwise you would have to know the ip address for everything!), and now when IP addresses are handed out to clients, they actually see these ISP name servers as their DNS server (instead of just seeing the ip address of the router like I would prefer).

Is there any way to make it so that the clients "see" their DNS server as the address of the router? In this case instead of seeing SBC's 2 name servers, they would instead see 192.168.1.254

Please see my config attached!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

the thing is that IOS differently from other types of home routers does not have an embedded dns server, so you will hand out actual server addresses. If you want try to learn these address via PPP without manual config, try:

ppp ipcp dns request

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

the thing is that IOS differently from other types of home routers does not have an embedded dns server, so you will hand out actual server addresses. If you want try to learn these address via PPP without manual config, try:

ppp ipcp dns request

Thank you. But is there not any way to just have it set the next hop for any kind of DNS request to either of the DNS servers from the ISP ? This is kind of more what I was thinking... Thanks again!

Actually you can, it is just not enabled by default.

See "configuring the router as dns server" at:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804455de.html

Thank you! The key was to configure DNS on the router and then change the dns-server setting under the DHCP pool!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card