Helpful
Replies

Vlan management IP

kokbeng.lim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please help me to understand management IP in simple explanation in term of:

1. what pushes the vendor to advise the company network administrator to adopt management IPs?

2. When it is being use?

I think these are what i really want to understand for now. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Management IPs are normal IPs that are used normally to manage devices remotely for example from another branch or even from another floor, for example a Cisco switch can have a management IP to be managed remotely via telnet (you won't need to go and access it via console every time you require to make any changes on it), and thus it is highly recommended to be used.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies using the scroll box on the right,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to Mohammed's post, Customers generally deploy a separate vlan or Ip address range as the management IP's. This is one of the best practice which gives the management ease, easy to remember device IP's and less administrator overhead in terms of finding the IP for each device everytime.You can reserve an Ip address range to be used on your network devices for managing them remotely using telnet/SSH/SNMP etc and donot assign the IP's to the Host PC's.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

In addition by using seprate VLAN for management traffic , actual data traffic & management traffic will have less impact on each other during congestion..or management traffic will be always smoother..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card