Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 Etherchannel at different speeds

croue
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer who wants to connect 2 switchs 6513.

He wants to create an Etherchannel with 2 link in 10Gigabit on a module, and connect a second Etherchannel with 4 links in Gigabit on an other module.

My question is: is it possible ton mixed those 6 links in the same Port-channel? or is it imcompatible because of the different speeds (10giga and giga).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to Mahmmod's post, I would suggest to create the 2 ether-channels as Layer3 etherchannels.Run Static routing or routing protocol, and the routing protocl will carry to two different path, which will give you load-balancing accross the channels and also the fail-over links with out any service disruption.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't use port with different speeds in the ether-channel , either all has to run 1 gig or 10 gig .

It is unsupported because you just making all these individual links into one logical bundle , all should have similar capabilities in order to work as one logical connection .

I have tried the same and found out that either the 10G ports works in a bundle or 1G ports but not all of them simulatneously.

HTH,Pleae rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thanks for your response.

And how do we choose between the 10Giga and Giga Etherchannel?

Because the customer wants to use the four Gigabit Etherchannel ports in backup of the 10Giga ehterchannel

Hi

In this case u need to create 2 ether-channel groups combining u r gig and 10 gig interfaces seprately.If this two ether-channels are going to connect to the same switch at the other end then i think STP will come in to picture,blocking one of ur link.

Thanks

Mahmood

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to Mahmmod's post, I would suggest to create the 2 ether-channels as Layer3 etherchannels.Run Static routing or routing protocol, and the routing protocl will carry to two different path, which will give you load-balancing accross the channels and also the fail-over links with out any service disruption.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card