cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on multiple ADSL lines on a Cisco Router...

kosonline
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I would like to ask you if it is possible to combine 4 ADSL 2Mbps lines in one Cisco router. Somebody recomended me the Cisco 2811 as a base router. If I add on that router 4 WIC-1ADSL cards would they work combined to give me 8 Mbps? Is this the case? If yes will it be easy to set up? Could a novice on Cisco routers do it or do you need very good knowledge on IOS to set it up? Thank you in advance...

3 Replies 3

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can just do CEF load-sharing by adding 4 default routes pointing to the 4 interfaces (and your provider shall do the same) with the same AD and you'll have load-sharing(which is per destination by default, and can be changed to per packet for perfect load-sharing using CEF - but per-packet is not recommended if you have voice traffic as it can result in out of order packets).

If you require to bundle them into one interface, you can go for MLPPP, you can always come back to us if you have any problems:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b6098.shtml

You can use the above document as your reference as the ADSL interfaces of yours are ATM, use the ATM example in the document, your solution should look something like this.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies using the scroll box on the right,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I am looking at doing the same 2811 + 4 ADSL cards but using 2 different ISP. Will I still be able to load share across all 4 ?

All I need to acheave is to increase the bandwith the clients see on the local LAN. Do I actually need to load share?

Yes, you do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card