cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to reboot a 350 AP remotely?

ralphfowler
Level 1
Level 1

I have an AP350 that is 100 miles away from me. I can get to its web interface, and I have gone through every menu. I cannot see a reboot selection. Is there a way to reboot this remotely?

I was thinking that there might be a reboot option or at lease some parameter setting that if changed, would force a reboot.

This would save me a 200 mile round-trip

Thanks

7 Replies 7

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

My recollection is that there is a "Reload," "Restart," or "Reboot" option in the system options menu.

If not, isn't there anyone on the site that can unplug and re-plug the power cable? There's only two cables ... one that is probably colored, and one that is black and connects to the wall power recepticle ... they can unplug either end (the wall or the AP).

If it's locked in a closet, then have them "power cycle" the circuit breaker feeding the closet. If the circuit breaker is behind the same locked door, then there's a serious issue with a dumber-than-usual designer / architect (it might even be a violation of local code).

Good Luck

Scott

You'd think so, but I have gone through every menu. I have even tried changing some parameters that I know would trigger a reboot of most other brands of AP. The thing just keeps going.

I am a Wireless ISP, and this AP is 300 feet up on a tower in an unattended site. There is an APC remote power switch, but it too is hosed. There is no one onsite and no one nearby with access rights (Homeland Security issues).

There is a reset command on the telnet menu, but when I use it, it tells me it can only be done by serial cable.

Unless someone knows a trick, it looks like I am out of luck until Wednesday or later when I can go down there.

Well, if you end up making the trip, take a laptop and new IOS image with you.

If you/your customer has other similar sites, it might be a Good Thing to plan an update session for them all.

Mr. Murphey says that when you get to the site, it'll be very windy, rainy/thunderstorms, dust storms ... or some other thing that would make climbing 300' up the tower a bad idea.

Good Luck

Scott

ihsankhan
Level 1
Level 1

AP350 with IOS firmware does have this option via web under System Software -> System Configuration -> Restart Now. Is it not running IOS firmware?

Unfortunately it is still running the VXWorks load 12.05 I think, or 12.07- whichever is the latest.

Try SNMP to reload AP350, you might be in luck if your AP allows that.

Not that this helps, but here is how you do it on IOS devices.

IOS devices config:

snmp-server community PRIVATE RW

snmp-server system-shutdown

SNMP reload command with snmpset utility from your PC:

snmpset -c PRIVATE 10.10.10.1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.9.0 i 2

where

10.10.10.1 = ip address of your router

PRIVATE = RW SNMP Community string

ralphfowler
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I finally got a response that solved my problem. Of course I had already made the trip.

The command is BURIED in the web interface and another WISP told me where to find it during a conversation this weekend when the topic happened to come up.

It is under "Cisco Services", "Manage System Configuration". There is an option to do both a warm and cold restart. This is on 12.05

Hope it helps someone else.

Ralph

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card