Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch to PC.

examples20001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I connected my winxp pc to L2 switch fa0/4 port directly but the interface is not coming up. Its always down. Why is it so?

7 Replies 7

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Good Day! There are several items you have to check. First, verify that the switch port is not administratively down. Second, is try checking your LAN card from windows XP. If both are good, then try pinging localhost to verify WINXP LAN. Also, try checking your cable for continuity. For Switch to PC you should use straight Ethernet cable.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Albert

Hi,

All the steps which you mentioned are OK, but that PC-A is not connecting, another PC-B is able to connect.

And the same PC-A is able to connect to different switch.

HI,

If that particular switch port is assigned to the VLAN means - pls check with VLAN Status.

Check whether the Port is in Forwarding state. Try "no shut" to that interface.

Pls Rate if Helps

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi,

The issues Albert has suggest are the most common issues, and most probably its one of them, plus it might be a malfunction switch port, please try to connect another PC to this port to make sure that it is not a PC problem and its rather a switch port problem, does the switch port light up in orange while not connected to anything ?

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi!

I then suggest you do the following. Try checking your UTP cable. Another is try connecting this same PC to another port. It's right that you should verify if there are VLAN configuration on the switch. For further isolation, try replacing the LAN card. I also had experienced for some reasons that I am not very much familiar of is that it a PC is using WiFi, it conflicts with the LAN. I had experienced this several times on my laptop.

Hope these helps,

Regards,

Albert

Hi Albert,

Thank you very much.

Problem was in LAN card. After replacing it, everything worked.

Hi!

Nice to hear that. You're very much welcome

Regards,

Albert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco