cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth/volume quota policy with standard IOS

Nihillim1
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to apply bandwidth or volume quota with the policies in IOS for a 2821 ISR router?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If you are talking about rate limiting bandwidth usage on a router interface, i guess you can go with CAR (Committed Access Rate), please do check the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080760d90.html

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

thanks for the reply. I actually used CAR already, but my boss demands some form of quota management, so that a customer with a guaranteed bandwidth of 1 Mbps can use 2 Mbps if available (i used the shaping function for this), but only for a certain amount of time.

Hi,

If i where you, i'll go for CBWFQ, using the bandwidth command you can guarantee the minimum bandwidth allocated for a certain traffic type, and if there is available bandwidth the traffic can go over this value.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

I already did that, but the available bandwidth may only be used during a certain amount of time, after that the customer must be capped back to his guaranteed bandwidth.

Hi Timothy,

Ok, lets get straight here, what are the conditions that you wish that the customer can exceed from 1M to 2M ? If the condition is when there is available bandwidth, then CBWFQ is the best option, i can't understand the phrase "but the available bandwidth may only be used during a certain amount of time" can please elaborate.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

the client can use the available bandwidth let's say for 4 hours/day, when he has used up these 4 hours, he will than be allowed to use only the assured bandwidth.

So for 4 hours a day he can use 2 Mbps, but if his 4 hours are depleted, he get's only the guaranteed 2 Mbps.

I hope this clears it up.

Hi,

I don't think that what you are pursuing can be done using IOS solely you might need the help of a RADIUS server for example, the max that you can do using the IOS is to use time based ACL when matching in any QoS feature (but it won't help you totally in your demand as it can say from when to when but not how much).

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

thanksfor your help, I already thought this was the case, but I needed to hear it from a pro.

Hi Timothy,

You are very welcomed, and please keep us updated with your scenario.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: