cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rommon crashed, cannot type anything

ntidcombe1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, does anyone know how to recover from a crashed rommon?

The Sup720 goes directly to rommon on boot up but i'm unable to issue any commands.

System Bootstrap, Version 7.7(1)

Copyright (c) 1994-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Cat6k-Sup720/SP processor with 524288 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 >

11 Replies 11

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Please check out the below link for rommon recovery.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#sup720

Thanks,

Satish

Hi Satish,

Thanks for reply but unfortunately it is of no use.

Perhaps my original question wasn't clear enough.

I'm cannot issue any commands at rommon.

I cannot type anything it has crashed in rommon mode, if i hit return nothing happens.

This is not a problem with hyper-terminal.

The problem is a corrupted rom monitor image and as it's firmware the whole module needs to be RMA'd. Although it may be possible to have a ROM device shipped and replaced on site.

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

This will sound silly but...

Have you tried a different console cable, or perhaps a different terminal program other than Hypterm?

I have seen hyperterm take issue with more than a few PCs/Laptops where it will display output, but not allow character input.

You might try an evaluation copy of CRT or SecureCRT instead from Van Dyke to see if that works instead.

Hi Jason, unfortunately i cannot test this now as the sup card is already on it's way back to cisco.

However when the card was in the production chassis i switched the console cable between active sup and failed sup and the active sup worked with hyperterm every time. I know Hyperterm can often be temperamental, but it didn't seem like the issue this time.

Thanks for the heads up on Hyperterm's simplex feature :)

Neil

Very nice, I can issue command with SecureCRT. 

karan.ved
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am also facing this same issue with 2960 switch. Cannot type anything on rommon mode. Tried different console cables along with different software's. But its still same.

Hello Karan,

if you can't type anything, get it replaced.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Madhu

Hi Madhukrishna,

Thanks for your reply. Its already on the way for replacement. But was hoping might get some out of the box solution.

Anyways Thanks

Ok Karan. However i think we can't help much here with alternatives since we can't type anything.

Thanks,

Madhu.

Hello

Cannot type anything on rommon mode on WS-C2960X-24PD-L

Is there a solution to the problem?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: