CCM Upgrade from 4.1 3 to Version 5.1.1 - Handset Question

Unanswered Question
May 29th, 2007

We are about to embark on an upgrade of CCM from version 4.1.3 to version 5.1.1b

All of our current handsets are 7940, 7960 and the 7936 Conference Dish.

Would our upgrade require us to change all of our current handsets? I know the licencing is structured differently on Version 5 than 4.1.3.

I also know the handset firmware is different for the two versions of CCM but I was under the impression that this would be installed on the handset during registeration.

Thanks in advance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
mchandak Tue, 05/29/2007 - 06:48

No, all the above phones are supported with CallManager 5.1 and therefore you wont have to change the handsets. Also, if you follow the upgrade procedure where you take a DMA Backup and then restore it on your CM 5.1 box, you would not have to re-configure the phones also. Please check the upgrade doc available at:

In short, the steps you would have to follow is:

1. Run Upgrade Assistant and confirm your server status is good for upgrade.

2. Run DMA and take the DB Backup

3. Install CM 5.1 and restore the DMA files

paulblohm Tue, 05/29/2007 - 07:03

OK thanks for that.

I'm told our current Hardware isn't quite up to spec for running version 5 as it only has 1GB RAM plus 32gb hard drive. Also the servers are nearly 4 years old.

The plan is to implement new hardware completely. Would the new licensing structure on Version 5 have any impact on our current VOIP Handsets?

Thanks in advance.

rob.huffman Tue, 05/29/2007 - 07:37

Hi Paul,

Just to add a note to Mahesh's good info, here is a Licensing reference to this exact question (you will be good to go on the Handsets :)

When you migrate from Cisco CallManager version 4.0(x) to 5.0(x), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco CallManager nodes is calculated and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will be generated during the Cisco CallManager migration process. These licenses are given free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco CallManager version 4.x. If you are provisioning new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco CallManager 5.0(x), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window on CCO.

From this good doc;

Hope this helps!

paulblohm Tue, 05/29/2007 - 07:58

Thanks very much Rob. This info is very much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to reply.

This Discussion