"show vlan brief" does not show trunked interface - is this normal?

Unanswered Question
May 29th, 2007

Greetings, I have 3524 and 3548 Catalyst switches. I have performed some trunking on them like I have done many times before however when I perform a "sh vlan br" I notice that ports are not assigned to the vlan 100? is this normal? See config attachement

In this case I want port 1,2,3,4 to be in vlan 100 and if you notice the default vlan they do not show up there either.

Please advise

Attachment: 
I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (3 ratings)
scottmac Tue, 05/29/2007 - 08:34

As you've noticed, only access ports are displayed ... trunked ports are not considered as part of the VLAN, since they actually contain traffic from several VLANs.

Good Luck

Scott

planzone Tue, 05/29/2007 - 08:38

Am I missing something or was there a helpful tip in your comment someplace?

So this is fine or have I messed soemthing up or..?

chris.lepa Tue, 05/29/2007 - 08:43

It is completely fine. Trunked ports can be a part of any VLAN, it doesn't matter. It carries multiple VLANs anyway. It wont show trunk ports in the show vlan. If you want to see trunked ports, try:

#show interfaces trunk

(i think that's it)

-Chris

Amit Singh Tue, 05/29/2007 - 09:11

This is absilutely fine. There is no issues in the output. It will show up the same as this command will not list the trunk interfaces.

You can use " show interface x/y switchport " command or " show interface trunk " command to check the interface status.

HTH,

-amit singh

planzone Tue, 05/29/2007 - 09:40

Thank you kindly folks.

I guess the light bulb finally turned on as it was a nice long weekend I enjoyed..

Makes sense as this time around i have "allowed" other vlans to the port as art of the trunking.

Actions

This Discussion