cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"show vlan brief" does not show trunked interface - is this normal?

planzone
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, I have 3524 and 3548 Catalyst switches. I have performed some trunking on them like I have done many times before however when I perform a "sh vlan br" I notice that ports are not assigned to the vlan 100? is this normal? See config attachement

In this case I want port 1,2,3,4 to be in vlan 100 and if you notice the default vlan they do not show up there either.

Please advise

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

As you've noticed, only access ports are displayed ... trunked ports are not considered as part of the VLAN, since they actually contain traffic from several VLANs.

Good Luck

Scott

Am I missing something or was there a helpful tip in your comment someplace?

So this is fine or have I messed soemthing up or..?

It is completely fine. Trunked ports can be a part of any VLAN, it doesn't matter. It carries multiple VLANs anyway. It wont show trunk ports in the show vlan. If you want to see trunked ports, try:

#show interfaces trunk

(i think that's it)

-Chris

This is absilutely fine. There is no issues in the output. It will show up the same as this command will not list the trunk interfaces.

You can use " show interface x/y switchport " command or " show interface trunk " command to check the interface status.

HTH,

-amit singh

Thank you kindly folks.

I guess the light bulb finally turned on as it was a nice long weekend I enjoyed..

Makes sense as this time around i have "allowed" other vlans to the port as art of the trunking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco