cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

G729 and moh

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

Some people mention that G729 is not really designed for MOH. Has anybody used the G729 for MOH over the wan and how you feel the quality? FYI, Our scenario is H323 gw with PBX so there is no CCM and can not change the service parameter to use g711 for moh while voice is g729. So if we have to go for g729, then we have to sacrifice the moh quality?

4 Replies 4

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

G729 and MOH does not really sound nice.

My experience is that Rock music sounds better then classical (violin) music (using G729)

Especial high pitch tones get very bad.

In general try it, and try different kinds of music,

Bye,

Jan

G729 codec is based on speech perception and really sounds terrible with music, it cannot anticipete the next bits hence stay away from it if possible.

Chris

knovak
Level 1
Level 1

You may be able to "spoof" the client phones into using a local MoH source at the WAN site, if they are licensed for SRST, using a variation of the following method.

Good Luck!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802d1c31.html

thanks for the link. But in my case, all the H323 GWs are connected with PBX. There is no CCM and SRST in the network. So I guess it's not working for me. Too bad.