Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP version report

cmartinvalle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to generate a report from CiscoWorks with the devices and the SNMP version they have installed.

I can generate a report from the RME module but I don't know how to get the SNMP version.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks and regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Only on the wire. IOS devices running 11.3 and higher are all capable of SNMPv1 and v2c. So are all supported versions of CatOS. Different apps will use different protocol versions depending on what they need. Campus Manager, for example, will use v2c and getbulk heavily.

The only test that can be done is the IOS version test. You can rest assured that any IOS device running code earlier than 11.3 will only do v1 (at least in terms of what CiscoWorks can manage).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

What you want to do is run a device credential report for your inventory.

Running this device credential report can I know if the devices have SNMPv1 or 2c or only distinguish between SNMPv3 and previous (without indicates if this previous version is v1 or 2)?

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, you could search through all your configurations in RME for something like:

snmp-server group (IOS)

set snmp user (CatOS)

That will tell you devices that potentially have SNMPv3 configured (those commands alone are not sufficient for v3). However, it won't tell you if SNMPv3 is actually being used by CiscoWorks to manage the devices. For that, you would need to export the DCR credentials, and visually check to see which SNMP credentials are populated.

If, however, you're just trying to find out which devices have SNMPv3 configured, the config patter search might be your best bet. Unfortunately, with IOS, you will not see SNMPv3 users in the config. And with both IOS and CatOS, unless you know the group/user names, you can potentially encounter some false-positives.

If you just want to find out which devices are SNMPv3-capable, you can use a version report to see IOS devices running code 12.0(3)T or higher and CatOS devices running 5.4 or higher.

Many thanks but I have SNMP v1 and 2c in my devices and what I really want is to know which devices use v1 and which others use 2c.

At present there isn't configured SNMP v3 in any devices. We will do this in the future.

Is possible to distinguish between v1 and 2c?

Regards.

Only on the wire. IOS devices running 11.3 and higher are all capable of SNMPv1 and v2c. So are all supported versions of CatOS. Different apps will use different protocol versions depending on what they need. Campus Manager, for example, will use v2c and getbulk heavily.

The only test that can be done is the IOS version test. You can rest assured that any IOS device running code earlier than 11.3 will only do v1 (at least in terms of what CiscoWorks can manage).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco