Views
Helpful
Replies

console/trap logging

danny9797
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a router with syslog enabled. It's not being forwarded to the buffer or a syslog server.

I noticed the router has 11XXX messages logged for the console and trap. What is the console/trap logs for? How can I view them?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

The console logs are messages sent to the console port. If you want to see them you need to be connected to the console port. They are sent to the console in real time. If you have a PC connected to the console you may be able to find some of the previous console messages in the scroll buffer of the PC but that is the only way to see console messages after they occur.

The trap syslog would be the messages sent to syslog server, if you had syslog servers configured (logging

If you had one or more syslog servers configured then you could view the syslog messages from the log files on the syslog server.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the response.

So if I hook up a machine to the console port, do I issue "sh logging" to view the logs? Will it show the logs from the time i'm connected to the port and onward, or does it have the logs saved elswhere from yesterday, etc?

As for the trap logging, no syslog server is setup so they're not going anywhere. When I issue sh logging it still states that many lines were logged for trap, are those non-existant and not being saved anywhere b/c no syslog server is defined?

Thanks again

Dan

If you connect a machine (I assume that we are talking PC, if not please set me straight) to the console port of the router it will begin to display the console syslog messages. No show command is needed (and indeed no show command is possible) to view the console log and they just start being written to the screen of the PC. The log messages will begin to display when the PC is connected and will continue to display as long as the PC remains connected. When the PC has been connected to the console it may have old console log messages in the scroll buffer of the PC. Any message in the scroll buffer can be viewed (pretty obviously) and any message that has scrolled out of the buffer is gone and can no longer be viewed.

As for trap logging, the router enables trap logging (level set to informational) by default and so the show logging will show the count of messages. They are non-existant and are not saved anywhere. If you do not have a syslog server configured (and do not intend to configure any) you can use the no logging trap command in global config mode to turn this off.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Dan,

What Rick meant, is that when connected to the console the logging by default pops up on your screen, always use "logging synchronous" under the console for appropriate display with no problems.

You can use the "show logging" at any time, even if you are connected via telnet, it will display the logs since the router started (but note that the buffer is size limited).

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

If you want to see entries in the log when you execute the command 'show log' then you need to enable buffer logging.

It appears you don't have external logging or buffer logging enabled and only console logging enabled, which is the default. Messages logged to the console isn't stored anywhere unless you have one of the other types of logging enabled.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card