cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Get MARS its own Subforum under Security?

PAUL TRIVINO
Level 3
Level 3

Anyone know how we can lobby to get a (sub-)forum for MARS issues? I see a fair number of posts under "General" but it's harder to sift out the other General questions without a separate list. Someone had a question today about custom rules and/or queries, I've had such a question my self - seems like this would be a good way to share this information more easily.

Suggest we Rate this post for opinions?

Paul Trivino

24 Replies 24

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

I'm all for it. Certainly it would get more activity than the PCI forum that was recently created.

Excellent suggestion. Given that Cisco is the market leader for SIM/SEM products it sure would help us share information more easily.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm hoping to get more than two replies to indicate our interest to Cisco...thanx.

wiluszm
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in agreement on this too. Too many topics on MARS are being posted amongst multiple forums.

-Mike

http://cs-mars.blogspot.com

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

I don't disagree with MARS having it's own forum but you've highlighted a problem that applies across all the forums. Many issues (most?) are product related but the forums are organised across technology lines, with a lot of overlap.

If you've used the forums for a while you realise that some subject-matter experts only hang out in one forum (Application Networking springs to mind) but questions about CSS, CSM and GSS appear all over - with a recent tendency to collect in Enterprise Networking (which clearly states "Mainframe connectivity, SNA Switching Services, DLSw+, managing SNA/IP"). My point is that there is no forum moderation for questions - and many people just don't seem to know where to post a question.

I'm not saying there is no moderation (there is - and it's very good at getting rid of spam, abuse, and the like) but there should be *question* moderation, with inappropriate posts moved to the correct forum - but without a better forum structure I can't see this being feasible.

Personally, I'd like to see an overhaul, with a specific forum for each product line (including MARS!) as well as possibly a *few* cross-product technology forums.

And maybe a forum to talk about the forums ;-)

Andrew.

Most of the posters in this thread already know this, but it's worth noting that there is also a google forum for csmars related discussions.

http://groups.google.com/group/cs-mars-ug?hl=en-GB

But not all, Matthew, I didn't know but I will definitely chek it out.

I guess it's both good and bad that such a forum exists outside Cisco's control...;^)

Paul

Good points all. I especially like a forum forum!

That being said, I've seen it in other forums where the old hands will gently nudge new posters to a forum where they'll have the best chance of a good answer.

That may be all we have for now...

Tom

Good points, Andrew. It had not clicked with me that the forums are structure so, but you're right. It's not an easy issue, often resolving an issue involves multiple products/approaches. I agree, given that it's a Cisco site, product-related would be somewhat better for the forums.

I also agree about Forum Moderators - and if the forums were reorganized (assuming most folks agree) it would not be a huge amount of time needed, I imagine one person could moderate all forums for "question location" issues.

Thanx for the reply!

PT

pcomeaux
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Great points, all.

Since I agree completely, I'll contact the team that moderates the forums and see if they can review the forum layout.

Thanks for vocalizing that your use could increase if changes are made to the structure.

I like to help out on posts where I can, but agree that it's not exactly clear where to ask about MARS, CCA, CSA, Intellishield, etc.

I know last I asked a few years ago, there was concern that there may not be enough volume for a CSA only group, for example.

Keep the comments coming on how you would use a new structure, propose a structure, or anything else creative, as the team will likely be reading your comments.

thxs!

peter

Hi All,

I'm brand new user/admin for MARS (Just started a week ago, though I have had quite a good amt. of experience in the CSA, PIX and VMS environment).

I find it really fair challenge to get the MARS going through my mind since its just not an appliance or just another Cisco Framework, but rather a paradigm shift from just closed environment DTM to a broader environment DTM.

It shall be great relief and ease of deployment / design for all MARS newbies.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi Peter, welcome back!

Haven't seen you around for a while.

Tom

DrEAmlessoD
Level 1
Level 1

I am aboard as well.

michael_stanton
Level 1
Level 1

I think that would be a fabulous idea.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: