cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to boot startup-config from flash?

andrewdykes
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to load the startup-config from disk0?

My 6500 configs are considered classified and I need to be able to pull the configs easily for storage. Also, storing the classified configs on the nvram has implications if the system needs to be re-classified.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew

Actually there is now an option to boot the config from flash:

lab_test(config)#boot config ?

flash: URL of the config file

nvram: URL of the config file

Much like we can specify booting the system image from flash, or tftp we now have the ability to specify that the config file is in flash. I have not used this feature so can not speak from experience about its operation. But the option certainly seems to be there to boot from a config file in flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

AFAIK, the start-up configuration must be loaded from the NVRAM, you can freely copy it wherever you want, but finally to load it, it must be on the NVRAM, if no startup-config exists on the NVRAM, the router initializes the "initial setup" script.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Andrew

Actually there is now an option to boot the config from flash:

lab_test(config)#boot config ?

flash: URL of the config file

nvram: URL of the config file

Much like we can specify booting the system image from flash, or tftp we now have the ability to specify that the config file is in flash. I have not used this feature so can not speak from experience about its operation. But the option certainly seems to be there to boot from a config file in flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Its really nice having you around :)

I've tried this option on a router running entservices 12.4, but i didn't found it, is it platform specific ?

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Same here, Mohammed. I'm looking at a 3600 with entservices 12.4.13b and I don't see the option.

Could it be specific to the 6500?

Hi Andrew,

After doing some searches, yes it seems that this command is available only for high-end routers (ex: Cisco 7000 series) and switches (ex: Cisco 6500 series), even with old codes, i think that it might be related to the Filesystem Class.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1826/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800d9c3b.html#xtocid109662

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080102728.html#wp1032778

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you very much, Rick.

Do you happen to know how new this feature is, or what feature set this is available on?

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew

According to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1826/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800d9c3b.html

the feature was introduced in 11.0 for the 7000 series. It has expanded to other platforms. I have checked and have it on a 7200 running 12.3 Advanced Security feature set. I have it on an 1841 running 12.4. I checked and did not have it on a 3600 running 12.2 IP only.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I went to check my 6500's and, sure enough, the option is there. This will be a big help.

Thanks again, guys.

Andrew

Andrew

I am glad that we were able to help you. I thought that I remembered seeing this option and did not realize that its availability was as limited as it seems to be. I am glad that you have it where you need it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This feature was even available on the old catos boxes . We used it all the time when we had to replace the swithes or supervisor, put the config in bootflash and issue the "set boot auto-config bootflash:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco