cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to remove Username Login prompt from SSH?

daniel.akinin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Is it possible to remove the username login prompt when using SSH for authentication to switches?

Thanks

Dan

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

No Sir, there is not.

Good Luck

Scott

Dan

It may depend on your SSH client. I observe that if I am logged in on a Cisco router that supports SSH client (as well as server), and if I initiate SSH to another Cisco device, then I do not get a prompt for user name and get only the prompt for password (which is the behavior described in the original post). Since the client already knows my user name it supplies that to the new SSH server and only presents the prompt for password. I can not speak to whether there are other SSH clients with the same behavior.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

daniel.akinin
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys,

I am using putty as the client,no big deal for me really, someone just mentioned with telnet they didn't need to use a login, it would go straight to the password prompt.

With SSH I guess this is an added security layer.

Dan

Hi Daneil,

even you can make a telnet to ask for user name & password with the following command.

aaa new-model

username xxxxx privilege 15 password xxxxx

line vty 0 4

privilege level 15

transport input ssh

since additional line is added in the line vty 0 4 interface "transport input ssh", even SSH uses the same username & password which telnet uses.

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Daniel, [Pls Rate if Helps]

One Concept: using RSA Private Key & Public Key we can meet your requirement.

Generate Private Key & Public Key using SSH & this key's should be trusted with the Switches.

So, from the next logon session the keys will be verified & logon will be successful. If the authentication is specified as Keyboard Interactive means you need to input the "Secret Phase answer" / if not means no username & password required for the same.

PLS RATE if Helps

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco