Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade.

examples20001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to upgrade the IOS of L2 switch 2950 from my tftp server.

But it is getting error.

When I ping my tftp server from router 2611 and reverse, the ping is good.

What can be the problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Assuming that 10.200.200.10 is a legitimate IP address and is unique in the network then I do not see a problem with assigning that address to VLAN49. You can put an IP address on only 1 VLAN and it can be any VLAN on the switch that you choose. If you put that address on VLAN49 and if the TFTP server is in the same subnet, then you should be able to download the new code. If the TFTP server is in a different subnet (or if you will want access to the switch from any address in any different subnet or if you want the switch to access any destination address in a different subnet) then you will also need to configure a default gateway on the switch pointing to a layer 3 routing interface in the subnet of 10.200.200.10.

I do not believe that the switch having an IP address will impact any of the production traffic in your network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

R u able to ping to FTP server from 2950 switch.If not then connect PC in which IOS is present and upgrade the IOS.

OR

Establish connectivity b/n FTP server and 2950 switch...If you are able to ping to FTP then you can upgrade the IOS.

Thanks,

Satish

can you permit even for the switch ip address in the access list, bcoz it will speak with the port #, you hav given access list to permit for ur PC, so make a permit statement for switch ip address also.

ahmedhussein
Level 1
Level 1

This socket error I faced before it's tftp server problem, change your software you are using

The switch dont have any IP address. Its a L2 switch.

The switch is in online, so I cannot remove from the network.

I have to download the IOS from our TFTP server only.

The TFTP software is working, as I upgraded the IOS of our catalyst switch 4506. TFTP software is running with CiscoWorks (SNMS).

When I ping tftp server from router 2611 (10.200.200.1), the ping is good.

hey,

you havn't given any ip address to the switch & thatz the reason you get that message "protocol not running" that is the problem.

Then how can I upload the IOS image to switch with out ip address?

How a layer 2 switch IOS updated?

attached if the switch config.

The answer to your question: Then how can I upload the IOS image to switch with out ip address is that you basically can not. You might check to see if the switch supports xmodem and transfer the image over the console connection. But this is slow and tedious. Why do you not just assign an IP address to the switch (put it in whichever VLAN seems most appropriate) and this will make TFTP download possible?

But the bottom line is that TFTP is an IP protocol and without an IP address you will not be able to use TFTP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

it is not@all possible to upgrade an IOS without IP address through TFTP server.

Hi Rick,

That was the answer I was looking for.

Thank you very much.

If I assign an IP address (10.200.200.10) at Interface VLAN 49, will their be any problem for the traffics, as the switch is online, in production environment?

there wouldn't be any problem & it will never affect yopur production environment, unless you restart the switch manually ;-)

Thank you very much.

Assuming that 10.200.200.10 is a legitimate IP address and is unique in the network then I do not see a problem with assigning that address to VLAN49. You can put an IP address on only 1 VLAN and it can be any VLAN on the switch that you choose. If you put that address on VLAN49 and if the TFTP server is in the same subnet, then you should be able to download the new code. If the TFTP server is in a different subnet (or if you will want access to the switch from any address in any different subnet or if you want the switch to access any destination address in a different subnet) then you will also need to configure a default gateway on the switch pointing to a layer 3 routing interface in the subnet of 10.200.200.10.

I do not believe that the switch having an IP address will impact any of the production traffic in your network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for a very good explanation.

I am glad that my explanation was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thank you for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a question and can know that they will read an answer that resolved the question. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco