Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Multiarea question

telecodi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, this is Dani from Barcelona

I have a question for you about multiarea deployments. In my lab (see attached file), I have 2 routers in the Datacenter (area0 ) and one remote site (area 1). The preferred path to the remote site is obviously the point-to-point link; that's why I forced the OSPF cost to 10. The backup tunnel has an OSPF cost of 150.

If it were a single area everything would work fine but in a multiarea environment, the DATACENTER-2 routing table shows the path to REMOTESITE via the backup Tunnel, eventthough its cost is greater the the path learned through ethernet via DATACENTER-1. It happens because for DATACENTER-2, the route to Remotesite is considered as an INTRA-area route whereas the route via DATACENTER-1 is an INTER-area route. OSPF will install always the INTRA-area route before the INTER-area routes, is that correct? If so, how can I fix it?

The area 0 is much bigger than shown in the picture.

Thanks everybody

Dani

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dani,

Your understanding is correct. OSPF would always choose intra-area route over inter-area route though the cost may be higher via the intra-area route.

One way to address this problem is you can set the admin distance to a higher value, any value more than 110, on DATACENTER-2 router for the routes learned from that remote site. This would force all the traffic to go over the DATACENTER-1 router while retaining the redundancy in case of an outage.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dani,

Your understanding is correct. OSPF would always choose intra-area route over inter-area route though the cost may be higher via the intra-area route.

One way to address this problem is you can set the admin distance to a higher value, any value more than 110, on DATACENTER-2 router for the routes learned from that remote site. This would force all the traffic to go over the DATACENTER-1 router while retaining the redundancy in case of an outage.

HTH

Sundar

Hi Sundar

thank you very much for your answer. I will follow your suggest !!

Dani

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card