cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2950 Management Speed Issues

Sighclops
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C2950 which is responding to ping requests very slow as well as managing the switch is extremely slow. The clients off the switch respond to ping requests quickly so it is looking like it is only the management side of the switch. CPU Utilization is minimal:

CPU utilization for five seconds: 1%/0%; one minute: 2%; five minutes: 2%

Also ping requests from a switch directly connected to it are just as slow.

Any suggestions what to look at next? I cannot reload the switch at the moment as there are working clients off it.

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Can you please confirm more about your setup? Is 2950 connected to some other switch? How many vlans you have on your 2950 switch and how many vlans you have on your core switch?

Regards,

Ankur

4500 Core Layer 3 Switch (150 Vlans) > connected to C2950(7 Vlans) with no issues > which is connected to the C2950 (2 Vlans) with issues.

On the trunk interface between the C2950(7 Vlans) and the trunk on the C2950 (2 Vlans) I have added switchport trunk allowed vlans 1,200,1002-1005. This seems to have cured the problem. The 2 Vlans on the C2950 having trouble are Vlan 1 and Vlan 200. So I have corrected this particular issue but I am not sure what the cause was. Something to do with SPT I would say now.

Hi Friend,

Yes you are right, there was a bug also listed for the same and that was the reason I asked you how many vlans you have on your active core switch and on 2950 switches.

It is recommended that if you do not have any active vlans on your 2950 switch and your core switch is capable of handling large number of vlans you should either prune them from trunk or clear them up from trunk.

Good to know your issue is resolved now.

Regards,

Ankur

Thank you for your replies Ankur. Do you know if this bug is related to a specific IOS version?

Hi Friend,

Here you go with the BUG ID :CSCec17499

You can use this link to view this bug

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/action.do?hdnAction=searchBugs

Basically the only workaround for this bug is to either configure VTP Pruning or clear unwanted vlans from trunk.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card