cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linux and CISCO

eyanez111
Level 1
Level 1

How can I configure a cisco router or switch with Linux? What program can replace the Terminal and how do I use it.

6 Replies 6

tim.weid
Level 1
Level 1

What flavor of Linux first of all. Second are you talking about console connection or virtual terminal (telnet)?

Nearly all flavors of linux come with a ssh or terminal emulator. You would just need to type in the correct line to connect

Is Ubuntu the flavor and I am talking about consolo connection??

On most linux distro the program you need is called minicom. I found out about it in a book called Network Administrators Survival Guide, by Deveriya. Highly reccomended -- includes very simple instructions for how to get it going. You may need to add it from the "universe" collection of programs in Ubuntu, can't remember -- then some configuration for baud rate, port, stop bits etc. Good luck.

You could also try C-Kermit. We use SUSE Linux (SLED 10) and C-Kermit to do console connections to network devices. There's a debian package available at http://packages.debian.org/ckermit which is probably the one you'd want for Ubuntu.

If you want more info about C-Kermit itself, try http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html

Once you've installed it (I'll leave you with that bit since you're already using Ubuntu) it's relatively easy to connect to your devices:

1. Open your terminal shell and su to root

2. Invoke Kermit [prompt:~>kermit]

3. C-Kermit> set line /dev/ttyS0 (or whichever tty your serial connection is on the Linux box)

4. C-Kermit> set speed 9600

5. C-Kermit> set carrier-watch off

6. C-Kermit> connect

You should then be consoled into your switch/device.

Hope it helps - feel free to "Rate" if it does.

Cheers,

Ben.

Just looked it up. Here is the procedure in a nutshell (assuming you have already installed minicom):

As root:

minicom -s

Select "Serial Port Setup"

Press "A" to change serial device settings

COM1 = /dev/ttyS0

COM2 = /dev/ttyS1

Change Bps settings to 9600 8N1 (option "E" on menu)

Press Enter to return to config screen.

Select "Save setup as," when prompted give is a name such as "console" or "COM1", whatever floats your boat, then press Enter.

Exit from Minicom.

To use the connection you just configured,just type:

minicom -o console

minicom -o COM1

...depending on how you saved your settings.

OK

Now which version of Ubuntu?

Dapper? Feisty?

I think the program you are looking for is Minicom

Depending on what repos you have set up.

try going to regular termainl session and typing

sudo apt-get install minicom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: