cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

issue over cabling

crackcisco
Level 1
Level 1

we r having netgear wireless router and evrything is wireless except two laptops..the problem s with the cabling..following r the cabling specifications...cat 5e and 568B ...and coming to the problem

wat i read is wen we connect a pc to a router directly one has to opt for croossover but, wat i saw

here is completly different, inside the rj45 the color combi were different frm crossover and still its working fine..wat they were using is this

(wen hook is underneath and this is @ both the ends)

white orange,orange

white blue, green

white green,blue

white brown,brown....this is for one laptop

and for another latop

white brown , brown

white green , green

white blue , blue

white orange, orange , @ both ends and wen hook is underneath

can any1 tell me wats happening here

3 Replies 3

pavansuraj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Srikanth,

The color combination of both cables you mentioned specify that of a straight through cable.

If you are connecting your laptop to a port which supports MDX(Media device Crossover), you can connect either by using straight through or crossover cable.

HTH, Please rate if it does

Pavan

thanx pavan, i don't knw abt this...but wen we go for strightover cable..we hav got some prescribed wa of wiring like

orange white,orange

green white,blue

blue white,green

brown white,brown)...but by looking @ the color combi in my previous post i was somewat

confused whether to follow which combi

thnx again

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Niether of the cable you've described are following the standard pinout scheme.

For 568a the color order (pin 1 on the left, hook down, cable end towards you)

1 - White-Green

2 - Green

3 - White-Orange

4 - Blue

5 - White-Blue

6 - Orange

7 - White-Brown

8 - Brown

For 568b:

1 - White-Orange

2 - Orange

3 - White-Green

4 - Blue

5 - White-Blue

6 - Green

7 - White-Brown

8 - Brown

Note that Ethernet / Fast Ethernet always use the orange and green pair. For GigE, all four pair are used in both directions (Tx/Rx) at the same time.

A standard Ethernet / fast Ethernet cable swaps pins 1&2, 3&6 (the orange and green pair) from one end to the other.

For GigE crossovers (needed for some older equipment without auto-sense) you also need to cross 4&5 (blue pair), 7&8 (brown pair).

Color order is critical for maximum performance, especially in Fast Ethernet / Full Duplex.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card