Views
Helpful
Replies

Bind a static ip address to MAC address

050878james
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !!

I have a question about MAC-IP address binding. The problem is, today we use the PPPoE for DSL customers, but we will begin to give them "static ip address" for those who need it, I know we can sett the dynamic ip as static in the RADIUS server, but I will rater skill it the PPPoE is dynamic ip address assigment while the static must not be trough PPPoE but we just give them static ip address, so the customers can configure that ip address in their routers.

So back to my problem and question, the question is how can I bind the ip address for these users ?? We use IP-DSLAM (ATM Switch) in the PSTN. Our router is already configured for static ip in the separate VLAN, so I am not sure how can I bind the ip address because let`s say we give one user the ip address 80.80.80.5 and we will this user be able to use ONLY this ip address, so EVEN if he tries to sett 80.80.80.6 than he must not be able to use this ip address, but the only one we gave him.

I was thinking about static ARP table where we bind ip address to an MAC address of the IPDSLAM switch port, but this is not a solution because he can than just pick up another ip and put it manually in the router, so this is not good chooice.

Any great suggestions ?? how these things are handled in case static ip address assigment anyway ??

Cheers

2 Replies 2

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

Set up a static ARP entry on the Cisco router to bind the unicast virtual IP address to the multicast MAC address.

In the command prompt window, type "arp -a" and look for the multicast MAC address that is bound for that IP address.

For more information please click following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/contnetw/ps1894/products_configuration_example09186a00801a6b3d.shtml#diag

Hello !! Thank You for helping me !!!!

On this way, can I prohibit use of another ip address to this user, so he can use the only one which is binded to his NIC MAC address ??

I mean prohibit of use another ip address because the user can pick up one another ip from the subnet and type it as static ip address, will this function prohibit it to this user ?? in case static ARP ?

Thank You again !!

Best regards

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card