where to start?

Unanswered Question
May 31st, 2007

basically it breakes down like this:

I have a decent paying job, but i prefer better(without working like a madman trying to make the money).

I work typically 8-12 hour days, 5-6 days a week(CATV installer).

i have alot of experience with computers(since 92), but no certificates/degrees to prove that I know what I know.

while training and certifications are a must these days, I dont know where to begin and how to get on this path.

What type of traing should I persue?

any thoughts on this would be greatly apprecciated.

thank you in advance.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ankbhasi Thu, 05/31/2007 - 09:51

Hi Friend,

On a personal note I do not think that you need a certification or degree to prove what you know. Certification no doubt make your resume get shortlisted quicker when consultants serach through job sites but that's not the only criteria to get you job.

I believe if you already know something you just need to explore more in that area and start applying for that job roles and once you attaned few interviews you will feel more confident.

Also to start with, you can think of CCNA and remember do not trust on any dumps when you are going through your CCNA. Just read books and online docs and appear for your certification and you will feel more confident once you achieve that certification.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

jrensink78 Fri, 06/01/2007 - 05:30

What certifications to pursue depend on what type of a position you are looking for.

If you want to get into the business side of IT, you really need a 4-year degree. Any business focus in the degree is very helpful.

If you are looking to go into a systems admin type of job, I would start with the A+ and Network+ certifications as your basis. Then look at an MCSE or the appropriate certification for the types of servers that you would want to work with.

For a networking position, you could start with the Network+ if you don't have a solid basis yet, then move to the Cisco certifications.

Any way you slice it, experience is the most important part of the equation when going for a job. Certifications mean more when they are accompanied by related experience. Don't count on them to carry you.

Look for opportunities to get a foot in the door to your desired profession. Even if it's just part time or on a volunteer basis while you work your current job. Get something to put on your resume to go along with some related certifications and you'll be positioned to move up into what you want to do.

Actions

This Discussion