cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3845 and SPAN port monitoring

alex_sa
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3845 with a fastethernet 36 port module and a gig port. I would like to setup port monitoring for example:

monitor session 1 source interface Fa4/2 - 6

monitor session 1 destination interface g0/3/0

However the command does not accept the gig interface as destination?? The interface I am using is HWIC-1GE-SFP however I also tried g0/1 which is the onboard copper connection and still the same problem.

Does anyone know what is wrong or why this does not work?

5 Replies 5

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Issue a sh ip interface brief to see

all your available ports.

BR,

Bjornarsb

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If that gig port is not part of the actual 36 port module then you probably cant span to it . Think of that module as a standalone switch , the ports have to be part of that switch , you should be able to span to any of the other 36 ports on that module in slot 4 .

I have not seen that limitation stated anywhere in the documentation?

How about if the gig port was part of the 36 port module?

I would think if the gig port was part of the 36 port switch you should be able to span to it.

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

I also observed same kind of issue with 3845 router running c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-3c.bin image.

I alos checkd in 3550 switch where it won't give any error while configuring monitor session for gig interfaces.

router1(config)#monitor session 1 destination interface g

router1(config)#$sion 1 destination interface gigabitEthernet 0/0

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I think it ia a limitation on 3845 routers.

Thanks,

Satish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card