Views
Helpful
Replies

Static ip address DSL customers

050878james
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !!

I have a question about MAC-IP address binding. The problem is, today we use the PPPoE for DSL customers, but we will begin to give them "static ip address" for those who need it, I know we can sett the dynamic ip as static in the RADIUS server, but I will rater skill it the PPPoE is dynamic ip address assigment while the static must not be trough PPPoE but we just give them static ip address, so the customers can configure that ip address in their routers.

So back to my problem and question, the question is how can I bind the ip address for these users ?? We use IP-DSLAM (ATM Switch) in the PSTN. Our router is already configured for static ip in the separate VLAN, so I am not sure how can I bind the ip address because let`s say we give one user the ip address 80.80.80.5 and we will this user be able to use ONLY this ip address, so EVEN if he tries to sett 80.80.80.6 than he must not be able to use this ip address, but the only one we gave him.

I was thinking about static ARP table where we bind ip address to an MAC address of the IPDSLAM switch port, but this is not a solution because he can than just pick up another ip and put it manually in the router, so this is not good chooice.

Any great suggestions ?? how these things are handled in case static ip address assigment anyway ??

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I belive that not every customer wants fixed ip, but of cource you can use the range command, but that depends on you vp vc assignment :)

Like this:

Router(config)# interface atm 6/0.200 point-to-point

Router(config-subif)# ip unnumbered loopback 1

Router(config-subif)# atm route-bridged ip

Router(config-subif)# range range1 pvc 1/200 1/299

Router(config-if-atm-range)# end

BR,

Bjornarsb

View solution in original post

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I've got an answer:

DHCP is the only option. (policy)

They say:

"If someone assign an ip statically they will create problems for themselves, because

the ip will not get renewed and "soon" assigned to another customer"

So I think you might use DHCP exclude address on your server , and use the same policy as stated: if someone use another IP address they will create problems for themselves :)

BR,

Bjornarsb

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As far as I can see you have to options:

either use PPPoE dynamic assigment and configure radius to assign same ip.

But if you do not want that, I believe that you must create a subinterface with a /30 mask. (vp/vc or vlan)

HTH,

Regards

Bjornarsb

Hello !!

Thank You for reply !!

hmm I am not sure why /30 ? and if I understand You than if I have 20 000 - 25 000 dsl customers it means I need to create the sub interface for each user ?? I know that IOS Supports up to 4,2 billion sub interfaces so that is not a problem.

But is it correct ?? sure that there is no other ways to do this ? Can You provid me an example ??

Cheers

James

Hi,

I belive that not every customer wants fixed ip, but of cource you can use the range command, but that depends on you vp vc assignment :)

Like this:

Router(config)# interface atm 6/0.200 point-to-point

Router(config-subif)# ip unnumbered loopback 1

Router(config-subif)# atm route-bridged ip

Router(config-subif)# range range1 pvc 1/200 1/299

Router(config-if-atm-range)# end

BR,

Bjornarsb

well, can I use the vlan instead ? for example

int fa0/0.200

encapsulation dot1Q 200

description static_ip_address_user

ip address 80.80.80.5 ............ ??

is it possible ? instead of ATM interface, I am not so familiar with ATM interfaces and I am not sure what is that used for ? we use the Zyxel IP DSLAM but Cisco Router 7200.

Cheers

for example let`s say we have this subnet for the users who want static ip address.

80.80.80.5/25 here is 126 hosts

now I will give the ip address 80.80.80.6 to one customer and next can than get the ip 80.80.80.7 and I will pervent the first customer to use 80.80.80.7 but he can only use the 80.80.80.6 understand my point now ?

Cheers

Hi!,

Then the challenge is that each sub-int cannot belong to more than one vlan.

So then you have to go for /30

as far as I know :)

BR,

Bjornarsb

Well, seems that I have not a lot of chooses, any googd links or explanations for ATM interfaces ?

Thank You very much for helping !!!!

Cheers

I see, this is very useful link, thank you for helping me again !! have a nice day dude, so I`ll figure this out :) !!

Cheers

Hi again,

Challenge however is that have to add ATM links from your dslam's....

Next is static mac....ip binding

So if this is a limitted number of customers you might go for vlan sub int....

BR,

Bjornarsb

as as undersot you now, I need to create the ATM interface for all dslams and than bind ip address to the mac address (mac address of ipdslam ports where the users are connected ???)

Cheers

Hi,

I'm not working with xDSL , so to be 100% sure I need to ask my old collegue this evening and come back to you.

I remeber that we sat up /30 sub int, but as you have stated it will not work if you have a lot of customers that wants static assigned IP's. You could use a script or so ?

But the case for us was that not many asked for static ip's so it was ok to set-up a few sub interfaces.

I beleive that today, the isp "says" that if you cannot receive IP from dhcp you must by buy a "box" that supports ip add dhcp.

Each customer gets same ip but by DHCP.

I will come back to you.

BR,

Bjornarsb

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I've got an answer:

DHCP is the only option. (policy)

They say:

"If someone assign an ip statically they will create problems for themselves, because

the ip will not get renewed and "soon" assigned to another customer"

So I think you might use DHCP exclude address on your server , and use the same policy as stated: if someone use another IP address they will create problems for themselves :)

BR,

Bjornarsb

Hi again, sorry for little late response, I was driving from the office and I am home now.

Well dude :) if that works you made me very very happy :), any example maybe ?? have you tried it ? I can try it if I can find some examples, but I will just deny users from typing static address and using it on the network I will they can use only the one we give them ! so your example makes good sense.

I`ll try find some examples.

Thank You again for suggestions and help !!

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: