cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copying software updates

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

is there an easy way to copy new software updates to a router if it does not have a network connection? i need to download some software and transfer it to this router.

gm

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

Personal anonymous FTP server and a crossover connected to PC/Laptop would be the most expediant. Newer software revisions for some of the routers are getting too large for TFTP to be used, so it is a good idea to just start using SCP or FTP.

You can use x-modem from rommon, but even when you increase the speed of the console port it can take a very long time. If you attempt this via Hyperterm beware that it can/will time-out the transfer if you do not keep it (Hyperterm) running as your foreground process...

View solution in original post

GM

If it is a 6509 and not on the network then I would use a crossover cable to connect the PC to a switch port in the management VLAN. Assign an IP address to the management interface of the switch, configure a complementary IP address on the PC. Then use TFTP or FTP server on the PC to load the image to the switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

Personal anonymous FTP server and a crossover connected to PC/Laptop would be the most expediant. Newer software revisions for some of the routers are getting too large for TFTP to be used, so it is a good idea to just start using SCP or FTP.

You can use x-modem from rommon, but even when you increase the speed of the console port it can take a very long time. If you attempt this via Hyperterm beware that it can/will time-out the transfer if you do not keep it (Hyperterm) running as your foreground process...

and this can use the console port or I can place a mini-hub between laptop and router?

Hi,

If using FTP or TFTP you'll need a hub or a switch between the laptop and the router ethernet interface, or you can even connect the laptop to the router ethernet interface via a cross-over cable directly, and configure IPs on both Ethernet interface to do the copy.

If you use the x-modem (which is a slow method used in disaster recovery situations), you connect tha laptop com port to the console port of the router, but this should be a last choice if you can't use the first method.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

Thanks for the input!!

GM

Thanks Jason!!

I was just handed a cd with a software image on it that is 21mb. I need to upload to ftp server?

Some TFTP servers can handle files that large and some can not. The traditional implementation of TFTP has problems with files larger than 16 MB. Some implementations have been written that overcome that limitation. One example that I have seen referenced favorably is tftp32d. I have not used this one and can not speak about its qualities. But it has gotten a number of favorable references (including some in our forums). You can get a copy from this link:

http://tftp32d.jounin.net/

I have used 3Cdaemon to handle files larger than 16 MB and have been very happy with it (it includes TFTP, FTP, and Syslog server capabilities). You can get it at this link:

http://support.3com.com/software/utilities_for_windows_32_bit.htm

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Would you use a crossover cable attached to one of the ports on the router while doing this? The environment I came from they completed all of the updates for us and we never had to do this. Can you give me a more detailed description of the process including locations on the router?

GM

The cable to use depends on the physical connectivity (and perhaps on the router platform). If the router is connected directly to your PC then a crossover cable is probably called for (but be aware that some of the newer platforms support MDX/MDI and will recognize the cable type and adjust to provide connectivity). If the router is connected to a switch and the switch connects to your PC then a straight through cable is probably called for (but again be careful about the possible support for MDX/MDI).

As I indicated some TFTP servers can handle IOS images the size that you describe. Or FTP might be a good choice for images this size (even when both might work, FTP is quicker and more efficient for transferring large images).

A more detailed description is difficult since we do not know the physical topology and do not know what platform you are dealing with (where the image is copied to will depend on the platform).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

It is a 6509 Sup2-2GE with MSFC2 card. It isn't on the network just trying to get the X6148A 10/100/1000 Ethernet module to work.

GM

If it is a 6509 and not on the network then I would use a crossover cable to connect the PC to a switch port in the management VLAN. Assign an IP address to the management interface of the switch, configure a complementary IP address on the PC. Then use TFTP or FTP server on the PC to load the image to the switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card