cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

data between routers onT1

allsupjon
Level 1
Level 1

Should the router reported data in bits per second between two Cisco routers connected via T1 be about the same ? In other words, should the data one router sends be about equal to the data the other router receives and vice versa ? Logic tells me yes but data tells me otherwise.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely not. Traffic pattern can be very asymmetric depending on the application. Experiment MRTG/PRTG or any other monitoring application and you will see live how traffic builds up in one direction and the other.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

I agree but the data I'm looking at is from the serial interface that goes to T-1 line. I would think that one byte going out on s0 of router 1 would still be 1 byte going in on s0 of router 2.

Correct, output counters on sending router must equal input counters on receiving router. If it doesn't, something is seriously wrong.

Do you know when the last time the counters have ben cleared for any of those interfaces? If one router was rebooted sooner than the other or something like that then that wil skew the numbers as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card